1 Corinthians 8, 10

(Dani) #1

(I would prefer someone prove me incorrect in this.) Should nobody eat meat offered to idols because someone somewhere is [likely] stumbling? Conversely, in 1 Cor 10:8, Paul tells us to avoid evil lusts, but couldn’t another conscience not think it is evil?

(SeanO) #2

@Dani I think if you read Romans 14 the point is that we not cause our brother and sister to stumble. You can only cause them to stumble if they are with you when you are eating meat sacrificed to idols or if they live in the same community. Someone somewhere is not the issue - the issue is the brother or sister in your own life. Paul is asking us to be concerned for those in our sphere of influence. That is why some Pastors who realize it is okay to drink alcoholic drinks (but wrong to be drunk obviously) still choose to abstain - to avoid causing someone in their Church to stumble.

Romans 14:13 - Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.

Our conscience can be wrong - it can be misinformed. It can cause us to feel guilty when we have done nothing wrong and it can cause us to feel innocent when we are guilty of sin. Consider this passage from 1 John - our heart’s can condemn us - make us feel guilty and condemned - even when we should not feel that way.

I John 3:19-22 - This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts , and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him.

Likewise, our conscience can be seared so that we no longer feel guilty when we do evil things.

I Timothy 4:2 - Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

I think the following article does a good job discussing the conscience. Our conscience must be informed by God’s Word and is not always correct. Mature Christians are those whose conscience and mind have learned through constant discipline and submission to God’s Spirit to discern good from evil. Our conscience may never be perfect this side of Heaven, which is why we need to know God’s Word and seek godly council.

Hebrews 5:14 - But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

How much is music an influence?
Is the Holy Spirit equivalent to our conscience or does He amplify our conscience?
(Dani) #3

Sorry, I don’t get the I John 3:19-22 bit…can you help?