1 John 1:5-6

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Lovers of God’s Word,

People in my area of the country are prone to a symptom called SAD which is Seasonal Affective Disorder due to a lack of sunlight. We have many cloudy days - day after day. People get depressed due to the sunlight deprivation.

Well I have a solution for SAD. It’s contained in verse 5 this week. In God is Light - light as in absolutely no darkness at all!!! I’m so grateful for His Word. As it is in your heart, it will mean so much more than if you just read it on a page. The light from His Word wants to shine, beam, and blaze right through us. Praise God!

If you want to begin seeing, in just a small way, how His light is beginning to cover the globe, please check out: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12npP11ry5AlTxn9N64Ips16g1HG2Ph8Y&usp=sharing and sign in yourself. It’s a Google map that some of us have pinned where we, from this group, live. Some have even offered their picture here. I am such a visual nut that to see your face, really helps me pray for you. That’s why we all look different - there’s no one like you so we know who you are with one glance.

Please focus on these verses and begin weaving them in with the former 4 verses. Verse 6 has been very effective in bringing conviction to me. Here they are:

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1 John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. (ESV)

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: (KJV)

I thought I copied verse 6 of the KJV wrong because it seems to be missing something. I check many times and it is translated that way. The NKJV includes the word “practice” prior to the words, the truth so it says, “and do not practice the truth”, which makes more sense to me.

While I’m at it, I post ESV and KJV for no particular reason as I do not personally use either one. Would anyone prefer that I post another version? I would opt to limit it to two versions because I formerly posted three versions and the post can get really lengthy and I doubt if many read it when it’s real long. So adieu!

5 Likes

Thank you for the post this week! In regards to the last question, I sort of have a new liking for the NASB version as well as NKJV. However, I like the KJV too as it is to the point and has a distinction.

2 Likes

Thanks Suzanne. Would you, or anyone else, prefer I post different versions? I’m assuming that no one uses my post to memorize from but have you have your own Bibles and versions. Regardless of the version that you use, I would recommend that you especially read the versions in the posts if they are not the ones that you use. It helps to compare versions, I find.

At this point in our memorization, it is at a critical point. It is easy to learn 2 verses but then to retain those and learn 2 more isn’t a breeze. Now you have 2 more and you don’t feel like you have the last 4 down very well. Don’t give up.

As you retain and learn, the earlier verses become more ingrained and it begins to flow. It is another reason why I would ask you to offer advice as to what works for you because we do learn differently. Again, don’t be discouraged if the verses aren’t down pat yet. If you stay with it and put the time into it, it happens.

When the chapter or book is memorized you will be ecstatic that you did it. This is where the journey can look impossible. You can do it if you want to.

2 Likes

Thank you for the new verses. I find that if I go over the verses everyday, for 7 days, then it helps me remember. I am hanging in there and thank you for this group.

2 Likes

Jo, how do you incorporate the verses that you’ve learned? In other words, if you go over the new verses every day, when do you recite the chapter up to the point where the new verses are included?

I’m so proud of you Jo. So many talk about doing it but you are!

1 Like

Hi all and wow it is so great to hear from everyone so diligent! It is always a pleasure to memorize in fullness both the words and meaning of our Father. May we all continue to be blessed in His Word.

Blessings,
~Sanah~

1 Like

~Sanah~, if the Lord needs a spark plug to move His body, I think you’re it! You are always so full of life!

1 Like

Hi Tim,
I probably did not express myself well, I go over all the verses. First I memorize the new verse , then keep going over all the verses from the previous weeks. So as the weeks go by, the text gets longer.

2 Likes

Dear Jo
You expressed yourself perfectly. This guy can just be a little slow upstairs!

Jo, you’ll be so happy that you did this. Way to go Sister!

Yes sir Mr. Ramey,

It seems you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. " as you incorporate the verses what have you learned? "

What was the purpose of 1 John? Was he declaring the Word? Isn’t one of his messages a call to unity in Christ? As believers, what do we take away from Jesus most beloved disciple?

It is we are memorizing verses or memorizing our Lords truth. The world is sick, yet He gives us the cure. The world is lost, and He is the shepherd. The world is in darkness and He is the light. How do these scriptures apply to our every day walk?

These are such powerful words! John is talking about the incarnation of God into flesh! He is talking about the light of God overpowering the darkness slowing encompassing all of us. Our peripheral vision is slowly being dissolved and we do not see it happening because it is so insidious.

1 John 1:5 ’ This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.’

This might be the easiest verse of all to memorize because how many times have we fallen short? Thought bad of a friend and then cover it with, ’ bless his heart’? How many times have we by passed saying the truth because complying was easier? How many times have we broken every rule? Thank our Lord for His ransom for our weakness. And thank John for pointing out, we need more than a flashlight with four D batteries. We need THE LIGHT. And thank our Father we have His Word.

Psalm 119:105 ‘Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light onto my path.’

So my sisters and brothers, please let us not think of memorizing verses, but instead, that we are breathing life. And not just life, But The Breath of Life. In Christ Jesus.

Blessings,
~Sanah~

1 Like

Dear Dr Sanah
Quite a scholarly yet practical insights into our verses for the week, young but wise lady! It was better than a commentary on the verse. It blessed me as to how you took subjects such a light and you glowed with its meaning! Thank you so much Sanah, not only for myself but for all who are memorizing with us.

What I think is so paramount in memorization of God’s Word is the profundity of how it works from the inside out. Light doesn’t come from the outside and we suck it inside but it shines from a source inside that is not our own - it is the Creator’s.

The message is so simple and practical that the depth of it can be overlooked. If we say that we know Him but choose our own way, we are liars!

Thank you for your emphasis on these verses with your illustrations and underscoring them with other Scripture as well.

Wow, I’ll remember that as I memorize - I’m not just spouting words, I’m breathing life. Thank you for your practical yet devotional application of 1 John. You understood what Jesus’ most beloved disciple intended to say.

1 Like

I want God’s word to dwell in my heart. Memorizing verses is one way to achieve that.

1 Like

Jo, you are absolutely correct. What you will find as you keep memorizing more verses is that the Word does not sit dormant in your heart collecting dust but it springs out when you least expect it and answers a question or speaks to a topic at just the right moment. I can’t tell you how valuable the Word in my heart is. I am blessed that you see the value in doing so, Jo. May its blessings surprise you!