1 John 1:7-8

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Memory Kings & Queens

Time slips by so fast as you were sure that it doesn’t seem like Saturday Scripture Memory post day yet and you are right. I am en route to California and will be traveling all day on Saturday so I thought I’d post this earlier rather than later. Forgive me for psyching you out, making it appear that you are behind. You’re not. Thank you, in Jesus’ Name, for the effort that you put into accomplishing what you have.

Do you realize that when you get next week’s verses memorized, you’ll have completed the whole chapter of 1 John 1 already? Granted, it is a shorter chapter but you are close to memorizing a whole chapter already and it it good but only gets better!

We learn in the first verse that as we walk in the Light of the Lord, we have the gift of fellowship and freedom from the dominion of sin. Sin will be a common term as in these verses and the following 4, or in the next 6 verses, sin is referred to 9 times. John is trying to tell us something about sin!

Here are the verses or Saturday!

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (KJV)

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (ESV)

Do realize that the last thing the enemy wants is for you to be memorizing God’s Word? Expect opposition.

1 Like

If you could keep the topic of sin in your mind as I mentioned in the post above. The reason being is because, the two verses are bringing home a “confusing” truth - if you say you don’t sin, you’re a liar and yet we are cleansed from it. We’ll see that so called dilemma increase in the verses to follow.

Please be thinking about it as the verses come up so we can discuss it more in depth as the topic unfolds in the few weeks ahead.

Thank you in advance!

Has anyone come across a person who denies that they sin, or could the verse mean those who intentionally sin but deny / argue that they are not sinning, God is love so I can do what I want etc.?

1 Like

David, I’m no expert but I think it is addressing those who say they don’t have sin in their lives. “I only tell a lie here and there. I’m not a murderer.” If we don’t admit sin we don’t admit our need for a Savior… “It’s a little overkill that He would die for me. I can handle my own sin myself.” I’ve hear people say that. In fact, that was me - I’m good and I have no need for a Savior.

The topic of sin takes some interesting twists in the weeks ahead. You can peak if you want to !

Prior to this memorization group, Carson would post 1-3 verses and ask who was on board. When I became the last one, I told him that I didn’t want it going just for me and suggested this chapter memorization group. By the amount of views and responses, I wonder how many are actively engaged. So as Carson did when he posted verses, could I get a show of hands as to who is memorizing with me? Is that OK? Or could you just communicate if you are not memorizing but mediating on the verses posted week by week?

3 Likes

Evening Tim,

As you know I’m not memorising the verse but contemplating them and your questions.

3 Likes

Thanks David. I knew you were doing so because you have faithfully posted on this thread for a long time! Also, I do appreciate you lifting up your prayer concerns. You are a dear brother!

3 Likes

Hullo Tim and Nancy and all my dear friends at RZIM Connect,
I am memorizing 1 John with you. I am also continuing to memorize and connect the chapters of The Gospel of John.

Blessings
Linnie :dove:

3 Likes

Linnie, you memorize so quickly. You amaze me. Thanks for checking in.

2 Likes

No worries Tim.

2 Likes

Plugging along with you :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Tim…

Not sure if this will get to you… i read your posts & am onboard in as much that i read the verses…

Blessings🙏

Anita

3 Likes

Olivia, you are such a blessings as I follow your posts. I know that sounds so generic but it is very true. I really love hearing from you!

And Anita, what an absolute treat to hear from you as I did receive your post and am so blessed to be cruising down the river of life together. That is not said glibly but in the truest sense because we have boarded the Truth of God’s eternal Word together and what can be more important than that? Please feel free to offer comments or raise questions, would you Anita?

3 Likes

Hi Tim ,
I am memorizing the verses with all of you. I am so glad for this group. I pray that this great will continue.

1 Like

Hey @Tim_Ramey, I am doing my best to memorize, I am definitely meditating on the verses and things you bring to us. I find refuge, inspiration and hope in this group too

1 Like

@Tim_Ramey I am not memorizing currently, but am meditating on the verses. I am lazy in nature when it comes to processing information. I have just now read a chapter in a book that pointed out how important scripture memorization is. I always felt it was important, but it was as if God was nudging me because of all the things I spend my day thinking about, I could at least give to him a bigger portion of my thoughts. If you would allow me to share the book title it is called: “Reading the Bible With Rabbi Jesus” written by Lois Tverberg. Awesome book and the chapter I just finished reading is called: “Memory is Critical - Hinting at the Scriptures”.

1 Like

It is so heartening hearing from all of you. Not because this is “my thing” but because God’s Word is critical to our walks with Him. Jo, as long as the Lord gives me life, I will be memorizing so I’m not close to dropping out - even if there is no one left I will forge forward.

And in prayer today I prayed for you Jason as you have been a faithful brother who has walked along side of me for a long time. Thanks brother!

Thank you for the book title, Tabitha. I will look it up when I get home. We are currently in CA. Hey, Nancy & I will be in somewhat the neck of your woods in April as we are going to drive down to Alabama and stay at a state park that has cabins. I think it is called Gulf Shores.

Also Tabitha, how is Jeff doing? Isn’t that the name of your husband that had some physical issues?

I sure thank all of you for touching bases. I will be posting early again this week as we will be traveling on Saturday so next week’s verses will be posted tomorrow.

I feel so privileged to have all of you in my life!