1 John 5:7-8

(Lilyan Ruiz) #1

Is it true that virtually no scholars considers 1 John5:7-8 as parts of the Bible anymore . And if that is so how can we still argue that Bible isnt corrupt as Islam proclaims

(C Rhodes) #2

@LilyR. What, which scholars? This is news to me. So if someone could bring me up to date, that would be great!
However, I still will wonder, why should what “scholars” conclude about scripture mean anything?

(SeanO) #3

@LilyR Thank you for your question. I believe there is a small misunderstanding. Scholars are not saying that I John 5:7-8 is not part of the Bible, but rather that the specific portion of the passage called the Comma Johannine is not part of the original Biblical text.

Without the Comma Johannine 1 John 5:7-8 reads, “For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.” With the “comma,” 1 John 5:7-8 reads, “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.”

To be clear - the Christian claim about the Bible is twofold:

1 - The Bible as originally written is the inerrant Word of God
2 - The Bible we have today, while there may be a few very insignificant textual variants, is a faithful representation of the original text

Most textual variants do little more than change “Jesus Christ” to “Christ Jesus” or “Christ” - they literally make no difference in terms of meaning or theology. There are a very few variants - such as this one in I John - that are not central to Christian theology but are more than simply shifting words around. Another one is the story of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery. However, as ancient documents go, the Bible is more well attested than any other ancient document in history - with over 20,000 ancient manuscripts.

I highly recommend you watch Nabeel Qureshi’s video from youtube below where he answers the Muslim objections in detail. I have included a few articles on I John and one from CARM on the amazing manuscript evidence for the New Testament. The Lord Jesus guide you as you consider these truths. Feel free to ask more questions.

https://carm.org/manuscript-evidence

(Lilyan Ruiz) #4

Thank you so much for the clarification. God bless

(SeanO) #5

@LilyR Sure thing - God bless you as well!