A Check on Our Living for Christ

Hello everyone,

I hope that everyone is doing well all around the world, especially in light of the current situation with the illness that is spreading. In times such as this, it can be difficult to understand why these things are allowed to happen, especially when we so many people who are hurting or losing loved ones because of it. Truly the greatest of comforts during trials and challenging times come from the true and holy word of God. I have particularly found a verse in 2 Peter 3 very encouraging during this time, in verse 9 he says, “The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”

Even when the situation looks completely hopeless, and we can’t understand it at all, God tells us through His word that He is in control. He is not just sitting there watching us suffer with no care toward us whatsoever. He is patient toward us and is using even the worst situations to draw us to Him, because He does not want us to perish. We are told as well in Lamentations that “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him”(verses 22-24).

Every day, His mercies are renewed and they never come to an end. Even when we feel we are the lowest point in our lives, He is there and He cares for us. He is our portion, and if we hope in Him, He is sufficient for any situation in our lives. What a great and amazing promise that we have in Him! I just wanted to share that with you, and I hope that it touches your heart in a special way as we all deal with these challenging times in our own lives.

Now, to my questions that I wanted to ask you all. How is your relationship with Christ? Sometimes it can be easy to let things in our lives, or huge trials like this illness, turn our eyes off of the one and only hope that we truly have in Jesus. How are you doing in your personal time with Him and His word? Are you trusting Him even despite all that may be going on in your life and the lives of those around you? Is it Him that you are turning to in your most desperate hour? And even in your greatest one? The enemy is always looking for an opportunity to pull your eyes from Christ, and to turn your heart from the truth of His word, wether it is through your sadness, or your happiness. As God’s word says in 1 Peter 5:8, “Be sober minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” Satan will always be seeking an opportunity to turn us from the one and only truth of this world, God’s word. But be sober minded and always on watch for His attacks, for he is crafty and deceptive, the father of all lies.

The most amazing thing of it all is this, that we are not in a winning fight. We are in a fight that is already won. Satan is defeated, and if we will put our trust in Christ and follow Him, Satan may attack us, but he is already defeated, and through Christ, we will overcome. 1 John 4:4 tells us that “You are from God little children, and have overcome them, because greater is He that is in you than he who is in he world.” And in 1 John 5:4-5, “For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world, our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world but he who believes that Jesus is he Son of God?”
No matter what this world may use to try and distract us from Christ and His word, if we stand in Christ, we stand in victory.

Sometimes we all need a reminder of just how great and amazing our Savior truly is. We all have moments and situations in our lives that distract us and, sometimes, hurt us, but we serve a risen Savior who has overcome all of the evil of this world. So I ask you all, how is your living for Christ going right now? Are you trusting in Him? Or have you maybe allowed a situation or circumstance in your life to distract you from Him? If you have, so have I, brother or sister, but His mercies are new every day. We all fall down, but He is there to raise us back up to our feet. Do not ever forget what an amazing Savior we serve, who can see us through any storm and give us the strength to weather it.

Always remember that no matter what kind of situation you may be in, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” - Hebrews 13:8. Our lives may change, our bodies may change, our situations may change, but He remains the same, full of mercy and grace, desiring that we all should find Him and be saved.

“I am a great sinner, but He is a great Savior;
I am dead in sin, but He is Life;
I am surrounded by lies, but He is the Truth;
Praise the name of Jesus.
When I am lost, He is the Way;
When I am faithless, He remains faithful;
When my sin abounds, His grace abounds more;
Praise the name of Jesus
Though I fail through the day, His mercies are new every morning;
Though I may fall, He raises me up;
Though I am weak, He is my strength;
Praise the name of Jesus
Savior, Lamb of God, Bright and Morning Star
His name stands forever in victory;
Therefore I will hope in Him.”

I hope that you all are staying safe and well during this time, and I pray that you all are remaining close to Him. No matter what the situation we always know that we can trust in Him. Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.”

I have included a video below that I found helpful in continuing to teach my heart to seek Him first in all things. Always continue to study the word, and seek after Christ brothers and sisters. God bless you all and thank you.

Matthew

2 Likes

Thank you for those great words of inspiration. I have to say my life with Christ is challenging, but as I am determined to stay with my faithfulness with Jesus, blessings abound and life has its daily challenges but GOD takes care of me and my wife of 21 years. We have not children and both work. I do my best to stay occupied with the reading of the Word of GOD, morning devotionals, teaching a basic apologetic course at church and doing my best to keep my mind filled with Jesus. I fail as everyone does but I know Jesus loves me and is my savior every day and is with me. My recent short course and Core module in May will be a blessing I know…

1 Like

Hello John,

I completely agree, a life with Christ is definitely challenging. Not because of Him in any way, but rather because we are so fallen and desperately in need of Him as a Savior. One of my big turnarounds in my life before I was saved was apologetics. It’s always fun to learn more about God, and His word, and how we can truly stand for it in this world and be prepared to give a defense for our hope in it.

I know that it can be a challenge sometimes, especially in the face of such trying times for the world, to keep our focus on Christ. Even I struggle in these times, but He is sufficient for me in all things, even when I struggle with remembering that. I am truly a great sinner, and He is truly a great Savior.

His word has all the answers for life, and the more we know it, the better we will know Him. You are quite correct, He is always with us, even when the enemy tries to trick us into believing He is not. I hope that you and your wife are staying safe in this time John. I pray for everyone in the U.S. that they will stay healthy and safe during this time of illness. May Christ guide you to continue to learn and grow in the knowledge and grace that only He can give. God bless you John and thank you.

Matthew