A Child's Past Life

The topic of past life memories is on my mind these couple of days. I would like you to look at the following video and tell me what you think.

Is it a past life, a visitation from the dead, or is it that our brain picks up on different signals of foreign memories or consciousnesses (like an antenna)?

2 Likes

@aschwartzman7. I don’t have a comment about the video, but I wondered why the assumption was never about a possession? It would be difficult for me to assume reincarnation or possession without knowing something about the parents and the home environment. Is the loss of past memory consistent with the reincarnation doctrine? I thought the memory was retained. But admittedly I don’t know a lot about the doctrine. It also raises the question of what value does the reincarnation bring to current living? What would be the point unless it taught me to be better at living than I was before? How does a memory of the best of Motown and personal safety benefit this baby especially since he has forgotten it all? Wouldn’t his parents have most likely taught him the same caution? Do his parents like old Motown music, is it played in the home? Why don’t little sweet and innocent children ever come back with memories as beautiful butterflies or soaring eagles? I think as a Childcare Provider there would be a distinct value if my babies could recall the freedom of flying. Better yet the knowledge of how it is accomplished. See, it raises more questions than answers.

I do not want or desire to diminish the reality of the people in the video. They believe what they have seen researched and heard. We as human beings try to rationalize what ever we see experience or hear. When Ezekiel, John and others saw visions from God they could only explain what they saw from their human perspective they could not explain the infinite with a finite mind. Similar to the concept of seeing something like a face or something in a cloud so it can make sense to us. God made man in His image, man makes things in our image. Many children have quote imaginary friends that they give life to so they can make sense of what is going on in their mind. Just my thoughts on the infinite anomalies that happen in a fallen world.
Mike

Hi Arthur,

This is an interesting video, to say the least, and one that, for me, brings up more questions than it does answers as well.

As I was watching this several things went through my head. One being a verse from Hebrew 9.27 that tells us “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this to face the judgement.”

I haven’t found any scripture in the Bible to support reincarnation. According to John 5.29 there will be a resurrection for all. A resurrection of those who have accepted the righteousness of Christ’s sacrifice to cover their personal sin who will rise to everlasting life and a resurrection of those who rejected Christ and instead relied on their own ability and merit who will rise to be condemned.

"The book of Daniel is in agreement with the book of John and says almost the same thing in chapter 12 and verse 2: “And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.”

The interesting thing about the above verse is that it tells us the state of a man after he dies physically. A sleep state awaiting resurrection. Here, as well as in other scriptures about resurrection, there is no mention of becoming another soul or being during this process.

https://carm.org/reincarnation-and-resurrection

The other thing that I wondered about was possession. This is not at all to imply that he is, it was just something I considered as a possibility. The reason for the consideration was that this young boy seems to have esoteric knowledge. This is the type of knowledge that we are warned about repeatedly in the Bible to completely avoid as it has it roots in the occult and divination and therefore, the deceiver himself. This was a red flag for me personally.

You stated in your email that the topic of past life memories has been on your mind lately. I would love to know your thoughts on this interesting subject as I still have a lot to learn.

Thank you for your post!
Mary Beth

5 Likes

I also thought the same.

It is appointed to man to die once and after this the judgment.
Logically if this child has gained factual knowledge about another historical person, this knowledge must have come from somewhere.

If the knowledge gained is not explained by any natural means, then supernatural knowledge maybe the answer. Obviously this is not from God, ergo it’s from occult sources.

I’m reminded of the account in Acts 16:16 where the slave girl had powers of divination; and when Paul cast out the demon; her owners were upset at their loss of income.

Just my thoughts… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I would agree with several of our brothers and sisters here in considering a supernatural source. Is it possession? Could be, but necessarily. I also had an experience like this with my son, and we have a God-honoring home. I was beside myself and didn’t know how to make heads nor tails of it at first. My son was not possessed. However, I was panic-stricken and concerned about a supernatural source messing with him to try to deceive both him and us, and so I walked through my house and prayed. I prayed over my son. I prayed over his bedroom. I prayed over his sleep and his mind. After I prayed, my son never talked about the “past” and his “past self” again. At the time he was only about 4-5 years old. He is now 7 and loves the Lord and is constantly asking others when we are out and about if they know Jesus.

I have speculated that at the young ages of four and five, children are maybe a little more open and vulnerable to supernatural things–suggestions or persuasions.For me, this event opened my eyes to how vigilant we need to be in our prayers over and training of our children.

5 Likes

Hi Arthur! @aschwartzman7

Well, mainstream Christianity does not support reincarnation. However, I think what makes this an interesting topic is that Rabbinic Judaism does have a doctrine of reincarnation. Although it does make me think of a couple of questions, such as:
-Is believing in the Rabbinic Jewish understanding of reincarnation a denial of the Gospel?
-Is believing in the Rabbinic Jewish understanding of reincarnation considered blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

What do you think?

1 Like

Hi, @joncarp. Is there a reliable source you would suggest for a quick read-up on this Rabbinic Jewish understanding? I have never heard of this doctrine before. Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Lindsay!

Yes!

https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380599/jewish/Judaism-and-Reincarnation.htm

2 Likes

Hi Jon,

I am not familiar with Rabbinic teachings on the doctrine of reincarnation. Are they similar to that of Hinduism?

I can only answer from the standpoint of scripture. It is my understanding and belief after searching the Bible that reincarnation and resurrection are mutually exclusive or incompatible with one another. Have you found any verses in the Bible that support reincarnation? I would be interested to know where they are if you have the time to share.

Do you think it’s possible to believe in both doctrines equally despite the fact that they are incongruous with each other?

As to your second question regarding blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, I am in absolutely no position to judge the heart of any man. The thing I wonder about is: Does a person’s belief in reincarnation (regardless of origin) lead them away from trusting in the work of Christ alone for their personal salvation? If we substitute or add anything to the cross of Christ or to grace then it becomes another gospel entirely.

I am interested to know what you think. Thanks for these great questions!

Grace and peace to you,
Mary Beth

1 Like

Hi Mary Beth! @MaryBeth1

To be sure, I’m not an expert on reincarnation in Rabbinic Judaism, Hinduism, or Buddhism, to be able to comment on the differences thoroughly. However, I do know that Rabbinic Judaism has a doctrine of reincarnation which is why I mentioned it. I’m not exactly sure how Rabbinic Judaism formulated their doctrine of reincarnation, although since Rabbinic Judaism does believe in the resurrection, I don’t think they would find their doctrine of reincarnation and resurrection to be mutually exclusive.
Although, I think you mentioned something vitally important which is ultimately we are saved through faith in Christ. I was just wondering if the Rabbinic Jewish doctrine of reincarnation was in and of itself a denial of the Gospel? What if you were evangelising to someone with a Rabbinic Jewish background who held those views and didn’t see a conflict between their doctrine of reincarnation and resurrection?

I have watched the video, and like the others, have no explanation, nor care to venture what was going on with this little boy. Since Lindsay @psalm151ls had a similar experience, can we say the boy in the video was demon possessed? And it certainly would be safe to say that Lindsay’s son was not living in a demonic environment, although a possible previous resident could have been involved in the Occult. (What Lindsay did was exactly necessary in praying over her house.) I think we have to look beyond what we saw on the video to have a more accurate picture. Perhaps, what wasn’t told would reveal more than what was. I think it’s best to leave this in God’s hands, given the guidance He has given us in Hebrews 9:27, as MaryBeth @MaryBeth1 pointed out.

I remembered a very difficult passage in 1Sam. 28 about Saul’s bringing up Samuel from the dead through the use of a medium known as The Witch of Endor. While it has nothing to do with the subject of reincarnation, what it says to me is that there is a very definite spirit world that God will use to judge those who resort to it. But, again, a realm that is best left to God. I did find this resource to shed some light on 1 Sam.28:

1 Like

I have very little knowledge, personally, with some of these Jewish websites. However, I have a very close Jewish friend who has been a Christian for ~50 years. Prior to her becoming a Christian, she admittedly was into the occult. She now leads and teaches some very dynamic Bible studies. Recently, I had occasion to ask her a question regarding Judaism and referred her to a similar website as Jonathan’s @joncarp. I saved her response and thought I would pass it along as a caution about chabad/kabbalah websites:

"First, I want to caution you about using Chabad websites. While I do find gems among their writing, one must be aware that Chabad is a mix of Hassidic Judaism and Kaballah. These are the mystical writings of Judaism but Kabbalah IS NOT GOOD - neither is the Zohar on which it is based. In fact, there are great similarities between these mystical writings and New Age.
With my background of having dabbled in the occult and later reading info on the New Age, I can sort of pick things out, but, even so, I am very very careful.
There are a few favorite websites I use" -
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org
http://www.jewfaq.org

I know Jews For Jesus is another trusted organization.

Hi Sharon!

Thanks for the additional resources!

Hi Jon,

I came across the following post on Connect and wanted to forward it to you in case you are interested. I found it very insightful and informative.

As for your question about could a belief in reincarnation be the equivalent to a denial of the gospel, I cannot answer that as it pertains to what decisions and choices take place in a person’s heart and only God knows for certain. What are your thoughts on this?

As for trying to evangelize someone that held two opposing viewpoints, well, I’m stumped. I still believe that reincarnation and resurrection are mutually exclusive and that the Bible clearly supports only resurrection.

I found another article from Jews for Jesus that I hope you will find helpful as well.

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but wanted to track down information from those smarter and wiser. Praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit for you as you reach out to His people in the hopes that they may also become His children.

Grace and peace to you,
mary beth

1 Like

@MaryBeth1 Hi Mary Beth!

Thanks so much for taking the time to find these articles! But, just to be clear, so that nothing gets misconstrued, I do believe in the resurrection, and I don’t advocate for reincarnations. However, I did find it interesting that Rabbinic Judaism has their own doctrine of reincarnation. From what I do know about it, the doctrine in Rabbinic Judaism does seem to be quite different from what I understand it to be in Hinduism or Buddhism. Although most likely just as untenable, I thought it might be interesting to discuss. Thanks again for all your input!

1 Like