A Note About Trolls

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

On very rare occasions, RZIM Connect may have someone attempt to disrupt our community.

What is a ‘troll’?

As Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary defines the term:

: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

51%20AM

How do we respond?

First, if you notice someone acting in this way, please immediately flag their posts. The more people who flag their posts, the better.

Don’t think: I’m sure someone else will take care of this. Instead, make the decision to flag their post.

Second, you are invited to send a message to the moderator team. Simply write a new message to the ‘connectmoderators’ group and/or myself, @KMac or @jspare.

A small thank you

As it turns out, we are actually grateful for trolls. Jesus has a plan to immediately turn their abuse into a blessing for us. In Matthew 5:11 we read:

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

The activity of a troll in RZIM Connect is an opportunity for us to receive a divine blessing!

Why we ban trolls

As a matter of practical wisdom, the best response to a troll is not to respond, as they are not interested in dialogue. Instead, the wise approach is to simply remove their presence from the community.

As Proverbs 22:10 says,

Drive out a scoffer, and strife will go out,
and quarreling and abuse will cease.

In advance, thank you for flagging inflammatory posts and notifying the moderator team of any problematic participation.