A question about Holy Spirit

There has been a question which I have not been able to find an answer to. And there have been several answers though they I thought differ from doctrines.

Is holy spirit a person like God moving amongst us? Or is Holy Spirit a Devine goodness that is instilled in us due to us following word of God?

In some versions of Bible Holy Spirit is referred to as “IT” and in other versions as “HE”.

I am not even sure I am asking a right question. Please help.

1 Like

The short answer to your question is The Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the Trinity. He is the Person that is with us today both with the Church at Large and with each person individually as said in 1 Cor 16:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? Thus it is He, The Holy Spirit, that dwells among us today.

The Holy Spirit is mentioned throughout the Scripture both Old and New Testament. In fact He is the First Person of the Trinity to be mentioned specifically in Scripture see Genesis 1:2. There is tendency for people to think of the Holy Spirit as the Wind of God as the word Spirit is rooted in the word for wind or breath both in the Hebrew and Greek. However Jesus makes it clear that the Holy Spirit is a Person with a Mission of God in John 16:12-15 12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. And there are other places in Scripture that specifically identifies the Holy Spirit as a Person not an It.

The ancient Creed of Athanasius I believe is the most explicit description of the Trinity. It is not often referred to as it also explicitly says that if you do not believe and accept the Trinity then you do not believe in God and are condemned. But I put a portion of the Creed below so that you can understand what Christianity believes about the Holy Spirit as I believe there is no better statement about the Trinity, I would remind that the word catholic means universal and is not referring to the Roman Catholic Church but to the Universal Church of Christianity.

Whoever wants to be saved should above all cling to the catholic faith.

Whoever does not guard it whole and inviolable will doubtless perish eternally.

Now this is the catholic faith: We worship one God in trinity and the Trinity in unity, neither confusing the persons nor dividing the divine being.

For the Father is one person, the Son is another, and the Spirit is still another.

But the deity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is one, equal in glory, coeternal in majesty.

What the Father is, the Son is, and so is the Holy Spirit.

Uncreated is the Father; uncreated is the Son; uncreated is the Spirit.

The Father is infinite; the Son is infinite; the Holy Spirit is infinite.

Eternal is the Father; eternal is the Son; eternal is the Spirit:

And yet there are not three eternal beings, but one who is eternal;

as there are not three uncreated and unlimited beings, but one who is uncreated and unlimited.

Almighty is the Father; almighty is the Son; almighty is the Spirit:

And yet there are not three almighty beings, but one who is almighty.

Thus the Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God:

And yet there are not three gods, but one God.

Thus the Father is Lord; the Son is Lord; the Holy Spirit is Lord:

And yet there are not three lords, but one Lord.

As Christian truth compels us to acknowledge each distinct person as God and Lord, so catholic religion forbids us to say that there are three gods or lords.

The Father was neither made nor created nor begotten;

the Son was neither made nor created, but was alone begotten of the Father;

the Spirit was neither made nor created, but is proceeding from the Father and the Son.

Thus there is one Father, not three fathers; one Son, not three sons; one Holy Spirit, not three spirits.

And in this Trinity, no one is before or after, greater or less than the other;

but all three persons are in themselves, coeternal and coequal; and so we must worship the Trinity in unity and the one God in three persons.

Whoever wants to be saved should think thus about the Trinity.

5 Likes

Hi @sag0612, great question! I absolutely agree with what @dan0647 has responded with. I love the Athanasias creed!

In terms of certain versions using ‘it’ to describe the Holy Spirit, I found that the King James uses that term in Romans 8:26. In this article, it outlines how in Greek, spirit is ‘pneuma’ and the KJV puts this verse as Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered

In Greek every word has its own distinct gender, masculine, feminine or neuter. Masculine gender is denoted by the article “o,” feminine by “a,” and neuter by “to.” The word for spirit, “pneuma” is neuter, a fact which is known to even first year Greek language students. Thus, the King James Bible correctly translates pneuma “itself” because it would be grammatically incorrect to translate it “himself” as many of today’s inferior translations do.

Just one other point to be aware of is that Jehovah’s Witnesses who do not believe in the Trinity would say that the Spirit is just a force and not a person. There are many errors in their translation of the Bible, the New World Translation. I’d carefully check which translations you’ve seen with the Holy Spirit being described as ‘it’.

Blessings.

2 Likes

The Holy Spirit is like a person moving among us that is omnipresent. He has His own will and purposes, though they always align with the Father and the Son.

There are other doctrines about the Holy Spirit. Some people even think there is a difference between the Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost, but this is based on the KJV of the Bible and doesn’t do a good depiction because the KJV was written for people who spoke middle English and not a modern understanding of English. I have even heard it said by scholars that if the people who wrote the KJV were around today that they would translate the Bible in a modern way and not in the same way we see the KJV. While, yes, the Holy Spirit is technically genderless, as is the Father, we ascribe a kind of gender to these things for different reasons. One of which is that we say the Father is a He is because of how it relates to us as a fatherly figure. This does NOT mean that the Spirit is a female or has a female essence. You could say the Father and the Spirit transcend gender and as such cannot be understood through the view of gender as some sort of definite way to understand them.

There is also something to be said about the divine simplicity of God as Thomas Aquinas argued. This is the idea that God is not and cannot be thought of as being made of different “parts”. As such our understanding of God, as Aquinas argues, is that we can only really talk about God as he is not and not as He is because He is beyond our intellectual capabilities of understanding.

1 Like