About Rapture

(Praneeth samuel) #1

Hi everyone,

5 minutes back i was hearing to a preacher in youtube,his name is SADHU SUNDHAR SELVARAJ. He preached about rapture and said that Jesus spoke to him by saying about the rapture,said that the rapture is after the tribulation period and we all christians will be part of tribulation period. Im little bit confused what he was preaching,can u clarify me about rapture?

(SeanO) #2

@Praneeth18 That is a good question. This pastor is describing the dispensational premillennial view of the end of this world and return of Christ (see chart below). This view falls under a ‘futurist’ interpretation of Revelation. Those who hold to this view believe that one day an evil ruler will rise up and there will be great suffering - called ‘the tribulation’. Some hold that Christians will be delivered out of this tribulation and others believe that Christians will also suffer during this tribulation. The speaker you are mentioning is arguing that Christians will suffer through the tribulation rather than being delivered out of it.

Some futurists use this verse in Revelation, as well as others, to point out that it appears God will not allow His faithful ones to suffer through the tribulation coming upon the world.

Rev 3:10 - Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth.

Here are the 4 ways of interpreting Revelation:

1 - Futurist - the idea that most of Revelation will occur at the end of history right before the return of Christ
2 - Partial Preterist - most of Revelation was fulfillment by the events surrounding the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD and now we only await the return of Christ and new heavens / new earth
3 - Idealist - Revelation has no historical fulfillment - it is instead a depiction of the great struggle that is ongoing in every generation between God’s Kingdom and evil world empires
4 - Historicist - each section of Revelation represents a different portion of history - so we could break history into chunks of a few hundred years and correlate them to Revelation (Roman Empire, Muslim invasions, Papacy) - this view is not common anymore

Here are some notes on some important key words. There are 2 significant periods of time spoken of when we talking about the ‘end of the age’:

1. Tribulation - a time of suffering when the saints will be persecuted
  2. Millennium - 1000 years (either figurative or literal) that is mentioned only in Rev 20:6

There are 4 main views of the tribulation and millennium. Each of these views believes that Jesus will one day return, but they disagree about what exactly the tribulation and the millennium mean. Some believe the tribulation has already occurred in the 1st century. Some believe it will occur in the future. And others thing the tribulation in Revelation is symbolic of all persecution of Christians.

I hope these thoughts provide you with a good starting place. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

I highly commend these books to you for further study.

(Tony Hacker ) #3

Hello Praneeth18. What exactly are/were you confused about? What was your current belief in regards to the rapture and tribulation?

(Praneeth samuel) #4

Hey Tony!! I was confused when I listened to a preacher named sadhu sundhar selvaraj,he told that the rapture takes place after tribulation and christians will be part of tribulation period. What I believed is rapture takes on the day of secret coming of jesus before tribulation period

(Praneeth samuel) #5

Thanks alot sean! You have been a great guidence for all my questions.

(SeanO) #6

@Praneeth18 Glad it was helpful :slight_smile:

(Praneeth samuel) #7

Yeah!!

(Tony Hacker ) #8

The “secret” rapture is confusing to me.

(Tony Hacker ) #9

Hello Praneeth 18, do you care to discuss this topic any further? I believe I could help clarify some of what his video might be attempting to say.

(Praneeth samuel) #10

Hey Tony,thanks for ur concern, my doubt was clarified. When we are living according to his word tribulation doesn’t even matter as apostle paul said “to live is christ and to die is gain”

(Tony Hacker ) #11

Amen Praneeth18!

This is my concern. With a wrong belief system the titanic sunk. With a wrong belief system, the world was drowned during Noah’s days.
Matthew 24:37-39 NASB — “For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. “For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and THEY DID NOT UNDERSTAND until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be.
And just like you mentioned earlier that they’re wise AND foolish virgins/bridesmaids. Both are called virgins/bridesmaids so both can be interpreted as “christian” in name while only one was Christ’s and had the true inner light/oil and understanding/wisdom.
My concern is 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 NASB — Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy(great falling away)comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
Those who believe that superman is coming to rescue them from this man of lawlessness and tribulation and have been taught that all their spiritual lives, once they are being persecuted for the faith, their wrong doctrine could cause many to “fall from the faith”, apostasy, aka foolish virgins.

You are right! But if one is living according to a lie…

(Praneeth samuel) #12

That’s great brother,even i do have the same concern . But all we have to do is pray for those people and if possible let us share the true gospel of jesus with love who are in a wrong belief system and that is what we can do!! Hope God give us more wisdom and knowledge so that we may know much more things in detail which are written in bible.

(Ron) #13

Hey Sean. Doesn’t the dispensational premillennial view believe that the rapture comes prior to the tribulation? The speaker in question mentioned that his belief was that the rapture took place after the tribulation. Thanks.

(SeanO) #14

@coryell0 Not necessarily. We have 3 separate terms here:

1. Premillennial - this means that someone believes that Christ will return prior to a ‘millennium’, or 1000 year reign of the saints upon the earth
  2. Dispensational - this means that you believe that salvation history is broken into ‘dispensations’ or smaller time periods in which God related to man in different ways - such as Abrahamic Covenant, dispensation of law (Moses) and dispensation of grace (Jesus) - there are usually 7 or so dispensations
  3. pre vs post tribulation rapture - this is the view that the rapture will be before or after the tribulation that comes upon the earth

A person could be both premillennial and dispensationlist while being post-tribulationist. The three beliefs do not directly conflict with each other. You could even be pre-trib and amillennial (the millennium is the Church age and the tribulation has already occurred) :slight_smile:

(Ron) #15

Great explanation. Thank you for your time in explaining that to me.

Pressing On…

(SeanO) #16

@coryell0 Sure thing - indeed - onward and upward in pursuit of the Lord Jesus! Further up and further in!

(Tony Hacker ) #17

Amen brother amen, preparing a Bride for His Return.

God speed!