About truth

What is biblical definition of truth? I thought that the truth means only absence of lies. But there are different kinds of definition for truth in different areas such as philosophy,art, science and justice. I read that the word " truth" comes 224 times in the new testament ( kjv). JESUS said “Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice” (John 18:37). So what is the truth? Can anyone help me to understand it?.

2 Likes

@Saravanan I would say there are two answers here. In the gospel of John, Jesus identifies himself as being the truth. He says, ‘‘I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.’’ Here I would say Jesus is truth personified.
The other answer, I would say are His teachings. He spoke to us the truth about how to be in right relationship with God and how to live a life knowing God.
Does this help?

4 Likes

Yes sir. It does. So truth is the self-expression of God. Am i right?

For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” [Jn 18:37-38 ESV]

This is a very fascinating question, @Saravanan, and I think we do well to repeat Pliate’s own inquiry! Just off the top of my head, I would answer: Truth is what is. (And, conversely, a lie is what is not.)

Along all these lines, though, I have always been fascinated by what @brianlalor noted above…that Jesus says, ‘I am…the truth.’ What does He mean by that? What does it mean for truth to be personified?

It seems that God is not only the source of truth, but truth itself. Jesus, as the truth, came both to bear witness to the truth and bring us back into right relationship with the truth.

3 Likes

Thank you so much ma’am. Just now I have read an article about truth by John MacArthur. I’ll attach it link below

https://www.gty.org/library/articles/A379/what-is-truth