Adam and Eve

(Rafael chavez) #1

If god told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of good and evil does that mean that from there they already knew good from evil? Or after they ate the fruit?

(Jennifer Judson) #2

I’m thinking it was after they ate the fruit. We are seeing the story after the fact, so when scripture tells us “do not eat from the tree of good and evil, because…” and we already know what good and evil is it’s hard to know what Adam and Eve knew before they ate the fruit.

What if we think of it as, “do not eat from the tree of xutiwylyt and mpyxzut, because…” and we really don’t know what that is other than now knowing what the tree is named. And it is only in eating the fruit that the knowledge is revealed.

Just thinking. I know there will be others who can illuminate a good exposition of the text.

(Rafael chavez) #3

So they didn’t know that disobeying god would be good or bad?

(Jennifer Judson) #4

The story of the fall is critical, yet presented in such a bare bones fashion. Not a lot of details and it leaves us with many questions.

Gen 2:16-17 "And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Certainly this does beg the question, did Adam know what good and evil was AND did he know what death was? Could he (and later she) understand the consequence?

For understanding, I’m wondering if it’s helpful to look at the behavior of toddlers and young children. When parents, the guide/authority they look to and trust, tell children they must not do _____ because it will hurt, they often don’t know what “hurt” really means. What does it mean to get burnt? What does it feel like to fall from a high place?

So often kids seem to find it irresistible to satisy their desires and find out what these consequences mean the hard way. So the very young are not left unattended so they can be kept from harm. But that cannot go on indefinitely. At some point kids have to make the choice to obey and be safe or disobey and find out the hard way.

We have no idea from the details of the story what the time frame is of God in relationship with Adam and Eve in the garden prior to the fall. Had they spent enough time with Him to know He would guide them perfectly? Would there even be a concept of trust when their life in the garden was idyllic? Would they have understood Him as creator? It seems Eve was very naive and easily manipulated by the serpent. Could she even have known to be wary?

Seems all I’m accomplishing is more questions. Can’t wait to see other replies.

(Rafael chavez) #5

Haha yeah but you make a good point thanks for your input!!