Advent

Shalom brothers n sisters in Christ Jesus.

Anyone of you have been observing Advent? May I ask you to share your experience with me? Why pink candle has to be lit on the 3rd Sunday?

I have loved candles as long as I can remember as they give me an unexplainable joy n peace watching the glowing quiet flame.

I thought about Advent last year, but I didn’t find out anything about it. This year I really want to observe Advent but as a thinking Christian, I want to know the true meaning of Advent n was it observed by any of the old Saints of Lord like George Muller, Charles Spurgeon n DL Moody n …

Can’t wait to learn from you n hear your insight!

4 Likes

I love Advent! It is a season of anticipation and waiting and taking the time to reflect during that season can be incredibly rich. Traditionally, during Advent I get the wreath out and, when time permits, meet with friends and family there for times of prayer and reflection…usually at the end of the day.

As one who lives in the northern hemisphere, my days grow darker and darker as we approach winter solstice, but then, BOOM. We celebrate the feast day commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, the light of the world!

The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not overcome it. [John 1]

As you’re in SG, I’m assuming, being so close to the equator, your day and night do not vary as much? Then perhaps you can discover your own symbolism in your refections this year?

Here are some resources you may find interesting. :slight_smile:

From the Church of England’s website under the ADVENT WREATH tab:

The Advent Wreath has four red or blue candles in a ring around a white or gold candle. Alternatively, there may be three purple candles, reflecting the liturgical colour for Advent, with a pink candle for the Third Sunday, when rose-pink vestments are traditionally worn. The first candle is lit on Advent Sunday; additional ones are lit, one on each Sunday, and the white or gold one on Christmas Day.

https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/common-worship/churchs-year/times-and-seasons/advent

Highly liturgical (and Catholic) churches have traditionally reflected on the Latin ‘O Antiphons’ in the days leading up to Christmas. In this article, Malcolm Guite (a British poet) writes some reflective verses. His book Waiting on the Word is also a treasure trove of reflections.

3 Likes

Shalom Kathleen beloved. Yes sis, in Singapore, the LRD ( Little Red Dot ), things are simpler.

Thank you for sharing with me your experience. Yes. It will be so cozy n warm to catch up with friends n loved ones during this season of joy n peace n love n hope.

With the resources you gave me, I will go read n find out more.

Blessed day to you sis. :innocent:

3 Likes

@KMac, I didn’t know anything about these traditions. Thank you for this! I’ll be using this with my family this year - the words are so beautiful:

I cannot think unless I have been thought,
Nor can I speak unless I have been spoken.
I cannot teach except as I am taught,
Or break the bread except as I am broken.
O Mind behind the mind through which I seek,
O Light within the light by which I see,

O Word beneath the words with which I speak,
O founding, unfound Wisdom, finding me,
O sounding Song whose depth is sounding me,
O Memory of time, reminding me,
My Ground of Being, always grounding me,

3 Likes

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I was not raised with the advent traditions. In our church we did not celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ as strange as that may seem for a Christian church, and so I had not heard of advent until just a few years ago. I am very happy to learn more about this beautiful tradition! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Shalom n Yes, Sis, it is a beautiful season Becos it is about Lord Jesus Christ. He is love. Even the air is different during Christmas time in December every year. Praise God.

2 Likes