Advice/Ideas to share the gospel with Jehovah Witnesses

(Giselle Seidel) #1

Hello everyone. I would like to have some advice about how to share the gospel with Jehovah Witnesses. Today God sent my way a woman and I praise God that I was able to share the gospel with her and I pray I planted a seed that leads to salvation. Well, while talking to her I got to know that they say they believe that the Bible is the word of God, but they don’t believe that Jesus is God (!!!). Probably that’s the biggest topic to talk about with them, but I wonder if there are any others that you know of. I would like to hear your experiences. Thank you.

(Ashish Money) #2

Hi Giselleseidel, I would like to share my experience with you, I was being advocated by Jehovah Witenesses to follow them. I was a young boy then in my teens and they were 2 male adults who were in their mid 40s they would be very nice to me and treat me as their friend and visit our house often and share the message of Jehovah witness. My Dad though he was not a born again christian, had a deep hatred toward JW because of their belief system, because of which his father .i.e my grandfather had died because of lack of medication. My Dad would insult them, but that would not stop them from coming. But one day while my Uncle, who is a Pastor had visited us and during his visit these JW brothers had visited us. I was old enough to understand the conversation and what I remember very well is that my Uncle challenged them to prove that what was written about Jesus not what it meant. For Eg: John 1: 1-14, where Jesus is the Word that eternally existed with God, was God and invovled in the creation of the whole universe and then in verse 14 John writes that he became flesh and dwelt among us and we behold his glory the one who came from the father full of grace and truth. And there were other portions of Scripture that my uncle challenged to prove that Jesus is not what he claims to be. Many prophecies about Jesus suffering, death and resurrection were left unanswered by them. After this conversation they left and never returned. I hope my experience will give you some help.

(Natasha Morton) #3

Hi there.
My mother was actually raised in the JW faith and through that I’ve been able to understand some of their beliefs a little better. You are right in that they do believe the Bible is the Word of God, but they have their own translation that they use. Many of them I have spoken with are unaware of these, but they are great. In particular, the one that comes to mind is the one @Ashishraj mentioned. The New World Translation the JW use changes John 1 slightly, but with great impact. Their version says ‘In the beginning was the Word and the Word was A GOD…’. They actually believe Jesus is a created being (that He is the Archangel Michael) contrary to many verses declaring Jesus to be God (John 1:1, 1:14, 8:58, 10:30). Independent thinking is strongly discouraged, as they want them to depend solely on the Watchtower Society. By this change, they denounce the Trinity.

I would encourage you to sit down with them and share specifics of what the Bible says about who Jesus is and site the places we learn He is God. I think that could at least open up discussions further. Show them that there are real differences and prayer with them that their eyes are open to the truth.

(LaTricia January) #4

A pastor friend is helping me with this after my first encounter with a JW since being saved. I felt confident in standing my ground and that’s what I did. They’re mindset tends to hinge on the belief that non-JW are ignorant (it reminds of the Hulu series “The Path” the more that I think about it). I shared with her that I have some JW relatives in the south. I asked her questions rather than allowing her to dictate to me how this was going to go. And just as she told me to research, I challenged her to research as well.

One thing I took away from the discussion is that word usage and the meaning of words are extremely important. I ended up discussing what does the ‘person of Christ’ mean in regards to the Trinity, which to my surprise I did better than I thought I would have. But because the Bible doesn’t use the word ‘Trinity’ or ‘Triune’, it’s discounted by JW. ‘Person’ is also a hurdle. I’ve been advised not to use these words.

I was also reminded that in general JW take the time to learn what they are taught pretty much inside and out. They come with a level or preparedness, even if incorrect, that the lay person and average professing Christian doesn’t have.

There is also cultish element to the religion, it’s a mindset. That’s important to understand during the point of engagement in order to better understand another factor in play.

I’m going to ask my friend if he can send me the handouts from a class he does on this and hopefully I can get it sooner rather than later and share some of the highlights.

(Tim Ramey) #5

@LaTricia_January
I appreciated your comments on JWs. I really feel that you are wise asking questions. Jesus asked more questions than answered them.

It’s interesting that for three summers I went door-to-door to talk about Jesus and asked the person what they believed. It really pumped me up just to dialogue with folks out there. I was legalistic as I went to one house and then to the next. What was humorous was that almost house that I went to talked freely. However, one wouldn’t engage in a conversation and as I pressed them a bit, found out that they were JWs.I mentioned that they always came to my house to talk but when I came to theirs, they didn’t want to talk. They just shrugged and shut the door.

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi Giselle,

This resource by Dr. Licona may be helpful to you:

(LaTricia January) #7

@Tim_Ramey that’s hilarious!!!

The Core Module taught me well. :slight_smile: I figure they have a specific game plan. I can’t say I have a game plan, well nothing more than to bring it all back to Christ as we know Him. From that experience alone, I see how valuable asking questions can be, although it may throw some people off, especially if there’s a set agenda at hand.

(David Cieszynski) #8

Thanks Carson, will have to print it off at work, make it easier on the eyes :grinning:

(Megan Kemp) #9

IJust an observation I’ll share because it’s timely…stuffed way down in mailbox the other day was a flier from the JWs for a March 31 invite to a service to “commemorate Jesus’ death”. They “quoted” (I put that in quotes because it was taken out of context) Jesus as having said to do this.

What I find sad and dangerous is this twisting of the scripture. A person unacquainted with the Bible who reads this may not pick up on the fact that they, ironically on Easter weekend, disregard the resurrection all together.

Their pamphlet said nothing of Jesus’ subsequent words indicating his return. If he died, how could he return without first resurrecting?

(““Truly I tell you, I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭14:25‬ ‭NIV‬‬)

(Steven Kalinowski) #10

Hi Giselleseidel
I would just like to add a few things.
Be sure you know what you believe about the deity of Christ. It all hinges on this. It comes down to them saying that Jesus is A god instead of THE God. Then you have more than one god which is not biblical.
Be ready for their response to this from the OT. Beware of their constant changing of topics when they feel backed into a corner. Beware of their continuous switching out of one of the two “witnesses” for another who is more ingrained in this cult. Beware of their quotes which are misquoted from true authors and will give the impression that they say the opposite of what they wrote. Study up on their tactics from books. If so inclined, take a few Greek courses online from Moody or something like this. Compare the NWT to the KJV which they say they will accept, but not really.
Pray to not be deceived yourself and that the other will see that Christ is far more than a mere angel. :slight_smile: