After we die

(John Van der Werff) #1

Can someone give Bible references that tell us what happens after we die? Thanks!

4 Likes
(Keldon Scott) #2

Here are a couple lists of verses for your edification. Both heaven and helI are referenced. God-bless your search and your path.

https://unlockingthebible.org/2015/03/25-bible-verses-about-heaven/

1 Like
(SeanO) #3

@JohnV That is a great question. I highly recommend Douglas Jacoby’s book ‘What’s the Truth about Heaven and Hell’. It does a good job of wading through the various verses related to this topic. I’ve also linked some additional threads that discuss both Heaven and the concept of Hell.

As a believer, the short answer to your question is that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Jesus told the thief on the cross that ‘today you will be with me in paradise’. We can count on that fact.

2 Cor 5:1 - For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2 Cor 5:6-8 - So, we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight, 8 and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord. 9 Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.

However, I personally do not think the Bible gives us details about exactly what that means and that most attempts to describe that experience are going beyond what has been revealed. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(John Van der Werff) #4

I have a friend who thinks the Bible supports reincarnation. Thanks for the references!

2 Likes
(Keldon Scott) #5

Hope it helps.
:blush:

1 Like
(Leigh Ann Coudriet) #6

Short answer:

Jesus was resurrected into the SAME PERSON HE WAS BEFORE. So was Lazarus.

1 Like
(Kathleen) #7

I’m intrigued, @JohnV. Did your friend give some Scripture references for their belief?

I mean, if you want to be incredibly general with the word, one might be able to contend that Jesus was ‘reincarnated’ in that, though his resurrected body did bear the nail scars, his new (glorified) body was different to his old (earthly) one. Or maybe it was the same body, though it was changed…glorified?

I obviously don’t believe that humans reincarnate on this earth, but I do believe that the bodies that we will have in the new heavens and earth will be different to the ones we have in this temporal sphere.

Bringing up Lazarus at this point, @Leigh_Coudriet might be problematic as Lazarus didn’t receive a new body. His old one was brought back to life by Jesus (the author of life) and, subsequently, died again. Though it would have been interesting to know if Lazarus remembered ‘being dead’…or if he just woke up as from a sleep? :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(Leigh Ann Coudriet) #8

When the word reincarnation is mentioned, in my mind I think of a human who dies and comes back as an animal…as Hindu’s believe. That is why I mentioned Lazarus and Jesus. They did not “reincarnate” as some religions believe. My buddhist student thinks this is true also.

Your explanation is a very good one. a much more thoughtful one than mine. Thank you.

2 Likes
(John Van der Werff) #9

KMac. Good question. This lady used John the Baptist as a reincarnation of Elijah as an example.

1 Like