Al Mohler on Apologetics

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

What an incredible endorsement of apologetics from Al Mohler:

Transcript:

Evangelical churches must see youth as an apologetic urgency. This is where we need to understand, that especially in a generation with secular culture pressing so hard upon them FOREVER, we need to prepare young people for a constant mode of Christian apologetics.

That means they have to be taught apologetics. They have to be told not to run from the questions but to run into the questions. They have to be taught that the Christian church LOVES dealing with questions, answering questions from Scripture, and has credible answers, more credible than the answers given by other intellectual authorities and other influencers in the society.

If we run from the questions, then we shouldn’t be surprised that young people run from the church. And the answers have to be credible, and they have to be Biblical, and they have to be thoughtful. And this is an investment that is not just a seminar offered on a Saturday; it is a mode of life.

This is a video definitely worth sharing with your friends and pastors at church. We’d be glad to enable youth to use RZIM Connect as a daily place of asking and wrestling with apologetic questions! :slight_smile:

(Melvin Greene) #2

I’m in total agreement, @CarsonWeitnauer. I don’t understand how the Church got into a mindset where we seem to run from questions. I think we assume that if we take our kids to church on Sundays, they will just automatically give their lives to Jesus and “live happily ever after”. I was raised with wonderful loving, Christian parents. We went to church three times a week. But, it was never explained why we believed in the Bible, and how do we know this is true. It was just tradition. We need, now more than ever, to teach our kids that this is the truth and why this is the truth. If we truly believe that we have the truth, we should never worry about questions people have.

I always thank God for this ministry. It has given me such confidence in sharing my faith.

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

Hi Melvin, I totally agree with you. There are some significant historical factors that shape our current church practices. For instance, it seems that we are still living with the reverberations of the fundamentalist-modernist split of the early 20th century.

One practical tension I observe in many churches and individuals is the gap between what we believe we should do and what we feel capable of doing. Eventually, we conform our beliefs to our behavior, or at least, our beliefs become nominal. It is impossible to sustain core convictions if they are not part of our regular habits.

In this context, I think many Christians have heard dozens of sermons urging greater commitment to the Great Commission. But, lacking the extensive discipleship and training experience needed to habitually put it into practice, it just isn’t sustainable. We give lip service to the idea but we feel discouraged about this known gap between our lives and the exhortations to do otherwise.

I think the remedy is for churches to become much more intensive in their approach to discipleship. It needs to be a rigorous, ongoing training process led by people who are actively modeling the behavior and lifestyle that is to be characteristic of all disciples. Whether we are pastors or not, I have found that we can put this into practice in our families, by leading a small group, or by leading a Sunday community. And, of course, through this little community! :slight_smile:

(Theja Tseikha) #4

Very true @Carson. Even in our own personal life too, when we think of the Great Commission it is sometimes overwhelming (and scary?), but as we start asking questions, simple questions of what God wants us to do in the now, of why things are as they are, instead of jumping straight to “I need to be preaching the gospel!”; then things become a bit more encouraging, a bit more empowering.
He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater. 'Sufficient for the day is it’s own trouble. ‘You have not because you ask not.’

(Tim Ramey) #5

@CarsonWeitnauer @Melvin_Greene
Al Mohler’s 50 second talk is one of the most dynamically loaded talks I’ve heard. Your insight about the need for discipleship, Carson, is a very needed element.

Carson and Melvin, in trying to understand where we got the notion that it was OK to avoid questions, I wonder if it springs from the misconception that if someone asks us a question, we better have an answer and not only be able to do so, but to always have the “right” ones as we have to always win the discussions. Just a thought…

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi Tim, that’s a great point! I think it is inevitable that we won’t have an answer to the question. Saying, “I don’t know” is the honest and fair answer. Then asking, “if that was resolved for you, would you follow Jesus?” If they say yes, prioritize connecting them with an answer. If they say no, ask, “what is the main obstacle for you?” But all this goes best when we are filled with the Spirit, when someone trusts us, has developed curiosity about Jesus, and is engaged in a search for truth with us. These elements are all essential to evangelism but often seem to be neglected or overlooked.

(Raymond Mussett) #7

The most difficult challenge with young people is to engage them in a spiritual conversation. With our godless public schools, secular TV and technology taking all their time it is no wonder that they are spiritually bankrupt. I remember when I was saved. I was led to the Lord by a girlfriend living a Christian example and inviting me to Christian activities. The Holy Spirit did the rest. I then became a seeker after Jesus got a hold of me. One recent example for reaching the young people and adults of my community was being on the local school board for 15 years. This opened many opportunities to engage young people teachers and administrators. I became part of the board to be a testimony for Christ. I was able to institute an invocation before every meeting and make sure that the students had the support of the board when they wanted to pray before events, awards ceremonies and any other activity. We attended prayer around the flag, celebrated National Day of Prayer and encouraged Fellowship of Christian Athletes led by a coach interested in leading the group. With young people individually I like to ask them what the want to do for their career after graduating. (Now this most often happens in my office. I am a Family Physician. I know I may only have one opportunity to plant a seed in their mind, heart and spirit.) The most common answer is “I don’t know.” I take the opportunity to ask them if they know who put them here on this earth. (Most often they say they don’t know, my parents, or God) Then I tell them that if God put them on this earth at this time in history He certainly put them here for a reason. I then tell them that discovering the purpose for which they were given life is the secret to true happiness in life. I tell them that they can know their purpose if they just get close to God through Jesus. Many times that’s all the time I have with them. Many times it follows with deeper questions and then I can direct them to the Word or some resource. The young people as well as adults must be drawn in while in their secular setting and we must be put ourselves in that secular setting some way to be able to reach them. I know I have rambled somewhat but this are the “methods” I have found to bring fruit. Yes, and the church must be prepared with the answers to the questions of seekers to continue to be relevant in today’s society. The great thing is, we do have the answers!! God bless

(Jimmy Sellers) #8

Doc:
What an encouraging and uplifting post. Thanks.