Aliens? Parallel universes?

I guess we can all agree that this year has been super weird, but the stuff science has been coming out with the past few weeks has been slightly more unsettling, at least for me. So apparently, not only does the Pentagon affirm that there has been strange aircraft spotted (UFOs?) but today, there was this article published by the new York post about the fact that there could be a parallel universe (I’ve put the link below). As someone who has been struggling alot in my faith, I find things like this kind of disturbing, and even though to some it might seem a little silly, all kinds of doubts spring up in my head when I see this stuff come out.
I guess my questions are, what would be the Christian response to these kinds of findings? Does our worldview allow for a parallel universe if there did indeed turn out to be one? When it comes to Aliens, I guess I don’t see that much of a problem; after all, we are the ones who believe that God created angels, etc. But, is there a point where one-day we’re going to have to throw up our hands so to speak, because science has proven so many things that religion just can’t be a thing anymore?
I know that science is nothing to be afraid of as a Christian, and if anything it brings more glory to God, but I don’t know, I just feel a bit disconcerted.

2 Likes

A great question.

I suppose the first question to address would be 'Do we have to choose between science and God?’. The short answer is no; this question comes from what is called the ‘god of the gaps’; where the more we learn about reality the less we need ‘god’ to fill in the gaps we don’t yet know.

God is the creator of the whole show; the bits we understand and the bits we don’t yet.

John Lennox; is my favourite author and has written a book called ‘Can science explain everything?’. It’s worth a read and addresses this question in depth;.

Rational Explanation
The next thing we need to realise is that a scientific explanation of something is not necessarily the only rational explanation that is possible. There can be multiple explanations that are equally true at the same time.
Suppose you ask: Why is this water boiling? I may say that heat energy from the gas flame is being conducted through the copper base of the kettle and is agitating the molecules of the water to such an extent that the water is boiling. Or, I may say that the water is boiling because I would like a cup of tea. We see at once that both of these explanations are equally rational—they each make perfect sense—but they are very different. The first is scientific and the second is personal, involving my intentions, will and desire. What is also obvious is that the two explanations do not conflict or even compete. They complement each other.

What is more, both are necessary for a full explanation of what is going on. Also, the explanation in terms of personal agency is arguably the more important—people had enjoyed drinking tea for millennia before they knew anything about thermodynamics! Aristotle pointed all of this out centuries ago when he distinguished between a material cause (the kettle, water, gas and so on) and the final cause (my desire for a stimulating beverage).

Similarly, in order to explain an automobile engine, we might mention the physics of internal combustion, or we might talk about Henry Ford. Both are rational explanations. And both are necessary for a comprehensive explanation. Scaling up this illustration to the size of the cosmos, we may say that God no more competes with science as an explanation of the universe than Henry Ford competes with science as an explanation of the motor car. God is an Agent-Creator explanation of the universe; he is not a scientific explanation. Aristotle, were he alive today, would be surprised to find just how many people appear unable to see the difference.

After all, to cite a delightful analogy used by novelist Dorothy Sayers:
The same dozen tones are materially sufficient to account for Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata and the noise the cat makes by walking on the keys. But the cat’s performance neither proves nor disproves the existence of Beethoven.[19]

Stephen Hawking claimed that God is not necessary to explain why the universe exists in the first place—why there is something rather than nothing. He believed that science could supply the answer. He wrote: Because there is a law like gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.[20]
This statement looks scientific, and it was certainly written by a scientist. But not only is it not scientific; it is not even rational, as some rudimentary logic will show.

Lennox, John. Can Science Explain Everything? . The Good Book Company. Kindle Edition.

Here is a video interview regarding the book; which I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

Some further videos you may find of interest from William Lane Craig’s channel:

to your second question regarding the article you posted; here is the video points (and i’ll comment briefly);

Intro: Some scientists believe there’s evidence of a parallel universe…where time runs backwards from our own.

The theory comes from a cosmic ray detection experiment in Antarctica where scientists used a giant balloon to carry NASA’s Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA) into the sky

While high-energy particles constantly stream down to Earth from space…
scientists were surprised to find other high-energy particles, tau neutrinos, which seemed to be emerging from the ice.

This is hard to explain by physics, since they should have been stopped by the
planet’s solid mass.

ok, I’m with them so far;

Now some physicists are hypothesizing that these particles are actually travelling backwards in time… suggesting the existence of a parallel universe.

wow; that’s a big leap to make. Time is basically the passing of events. Are they suggesting that the events in this alleged parallel universe are travelling backwards to the inhabitants of that universe; or in reverse in relation to our own? How would that universe know it’s travelling in reverse?

The idea is that this universe could have been formed alongside ours during the Big Bang
and that from our perspective,

This is Biblical; there is a spiritual realm (or dimension) which God created, as well as the physical universe;

it runs in reverse with time going backward.

they’ve lost me here; I don’t buy it. Backwards in relation to our universe?

Others suggest this should be taken with a grain of salt (scepticism).

According to this, the high-energy particles detected by the device can only come “down” from space. However, the particles detected by ANITA seem to be travelling up.

This indicates that the particles are travelling back in time suggesting the existence of a parallel universe that travels back in time.

Principal ANITA investigator Peter Gorham, of the University of Hawaii, said that the only way for a particle to behave this way is if it had changed its nature before entering the Earth and then changed back again, the report said.

My question would be; why do scientists suggest every possible alternative except God that has created as the Bible says.

Here is an interesting quote from an atheist biologist Richard C. Lewontin. Notice how they are constrained by a prior commitment to materialism to never allow a ‘Divine Foot in the door’.

“Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.

the Bible Project have done a good six part series on Spiritual beings; I don’t necessarily agree with everything they say but it’s a good starting point.

to your third question re alien life elsewhere; this might be a good starting article

my view is that no; there are no aliens on other planets anywhere in the universe.

regarding doubts; don’t worry this is normal part of growth; we all have them as we learn more. We can simply approach them with an attitude of humility and ask God to reveal to us more of himself; and the promise is ‘If we will draw nigh to God; He will draw nigh unto us’ (James 4:8a)

There are 4 big questions a worldview needs to answer; Origin, Morality, Meaning and Destiny. Ravi Zacharius explains this so well.

Hopefully this is a starting point for your questions; and I look forward to others joining in the conversation too. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I’ll be taking a look at all the resources you posted :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What a great discovery @Abi.re. You had a great response from @matthew.western. Here is my 2 cents.

You know what my motto is, science is doing a great job at trying to catch up to God. As one of the leading scientist said,

“When we know some science, it takes us away from God, but as we learn more science, it takes us right back to God.”

A parallel universe does not go against what we know. The term “alien” is given such a bad rep, because of all the scary movies we watch. It just means extraterrestrial. That could mean the spiritual realm. It is not against God or to the truth we have laid before us about our belief. Just give the scientist some time. Every time something comes up, a hypothesis after hypothesis are laid out, and each will get debunked, and some will come to light. But at the end of the day, we will learn how big our God is. The term “Big bang” was a derogatory term used initially before scientist accepted that the universe had a beginning. Right back to Genesis 1. Man’s arrogance and pride is just unbelievable. I just hope it does not cost their eternity/life. Trust me, I was one of them and sat in those graduate level classes, where everything starts to become theory and just sitting there talking to each other going, could it be this or that? even the professor starts to ask you your own opinion. You stop and say, “What, is that it? Are we speculating now.” Now that is having faith on the unseen :smile:

Also, it is crucial to remember that Christianity is evidence based faith, not a mere belief. I think a lot of people mistake it for just a belief. The more we dig into that and solidify our foundation, nothing that comes out will rock our boat. It only confirms it.

I hope this helps.
God Bless

2 Likes

Abijah, thanks for your inquiry. I went through a time too where I thought scientific findings were going to make it more and more difficult to believe in God. I thought evolution was one of them until I dwelt into it and found out that these are theories that are advanced by scientists and not established truths like heliocentricity.

As for the current finding regarding parallel universes one thing we have to keep in mind is that the conclusion of a parallel universe from the observation of heavier particles coming out of the earth is a huge leap. There may be other explanations for the observations.

Note their words: “The finding implies that these particles are actually traveling backward in time, suggesting evidence of a parallel universe.” Note the words “implies” and “suggesting.” They are not certainties. Even if they were it only goes to show that we have a huge lot to learn about the universe or universes that God created. They have nothing to do with disproving God’s existence.

4 Likes

Yes, this was helpful. Thank you!

Another thought came to my mind that I thought I would share. Throughout our human history we have had earth shaking discoveries that have fundamentally changed the way we looked at the world. Here are some:

1. The world is round and there are people on the other side of the world and they are not falling off!
  2. The world is spinning at about 1000 mph at the equator and we are not flung into space!
  3. The earth is not the center about which all the stars and the sun are revolving around.
  4. There are billions of galaxies each having billions of suns like ours.
  5. After Einstein there are mindboggling concepts that we never dreamed of: distance between objects and time between events depends on the speed of the observer, light can be bent by heavy objects, space and time are interconnected etc
  6. Electrons behave differently whether it is going through one slot or two in a barrier and the way it behaves depends on whether we are looking at it or not!
  7. When a pair of spinning electrons are separated and you switch the spin of one the spin of the other immediately (faster than the speed of light) switches.
  8. There is a mysterious force (dark energy) that is pulling galaxies apart that vastly overcomes gravity which should pull them together.

The list is endless but in none of these have diminished peoples faith in God. I am convinced that we have only scratched the surface and the ultimate reality will greatly surprise us more than any of these discoveries I have mentioned. I find it very hard to believe that all these things just happened to be there. Einstein though he was not a believer in the biblical God said, "“The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects.”

Our creator is truly amazing.

2 Likes

No where in bible is aliens mentioned but angels are they are supernatural weather fallen or from our father it’s interesting how aliens are seem to coming up more it’s been said it could a way that they will explained the rapture as for parallel universe or multiverse in the end it all about eternity the nothing wrong with science as long as you don’t make it your god and believe that man is capable figuring everything out there have been many Christian Scientists. Just a thought

1 Like

I think we have to be careful not to conclude that aliens don’t exist because the Bible does not mention it. The Bible does not mention microbial life either but we know they exist. God is not required to mention to us what He has done.

1 Like