Ancient Alien Theory

(Jennifer Fernandez) #1

I’m a firm Believer in the word as truth. I got into watching the Ancient Alien theories before I renewed my faith a few years back. The arguments they present use the Bible (as well as other ancient cultures) to say that maybe what happened in the Bible was actually us encountering Aliens. Other than just saying that’s a lie from the Devil, how can one un-think what is taught because explaining the Holy Spirit and God’s hands in the lives of those in the Bible can be explained with the ancient civilization encountering a more advanced one in a convincing manner.

As I type this I realize how ridiculous this sounds. But it’s a battle in my mind at times and would love some scripture to combate the arguments made by the ancient alien theorists.

Thank you in advance.

(Jim) #2

Hi Jennifer - I am not familiar with the theories to which you refer, If you want to share some specifics then I’ll see if I can address them…I can recommend some scriptures to help you in your mental battle:

Colossians 2:6-10
6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

John 1:1-5
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Galatians 1:6-10
I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

John 3:16-21
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Acts 2:14-39
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’
22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it. 25 For David says concerning Him:
‘I foresaw the Lord always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad;
Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.
27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the ways of life;
You will make me full of joy in Your presence.’
29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne, 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
34 “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:
‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” ’
36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Blessings!!

(Randy Roach) #3

Jennifer – Interesting question. Are you referring to the Nephilim who are mentioned in Genesis?

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Could you shed a little light on this statement. I am not trying to put you on the spot but am genuinely interested in what/how they arrive at these conclusions. By the way there are no ridiculous questions on connect, if you are asking I am sure others are.

(SeanO) #5

@Jennifer_May That is a good question. Along with everyone else, I am curious, what specific theories have you heard regarding aliens? Here is a Hank Hanegraaff article on this topic and a few of the ideas he presented that might be helpful. Also an article from psychology today on the power of conspiracy theories.

At a slightly higher level, I think “renewing our mind” (Romans 12:2) is a process. If we have had strong alternate belief systems in the past there are ruts in our mind that will cause us to suddenly go back to our prior state where we believed those things. That is just the brain being a brain - it is no cause for concern. An old Pastor illustration is that we cannot control what thoughts ‘fly through our brain’ but we can seek to control which ones ‘land on the runway’. So when these thoughts from old beliefs seem to come back strong we can use Scripture, worship music or other things that are good, true and beautiful as a way of diverting renewing our mind - getting rid of those old ruts in the brain. We are not defined by what thoughts fly ‘through’ our brain but by the choices we make to honor God with our lives and love Him as we seek to renew our mind, which is a lifelong process.

May the Spirit of Christ give you peace and clarity of mind regarding this topic. Hope that was helpful :slight_smile:

Hank Hanegraaff Article

Worldview Confusion

The article made a great point about people trying to shoehorn aliens into the Bible - they simply do not belong there… This effort is an example of someone reading foreign ideas or concepts into the Bible that were never there in the first place - or worldview confusion. Here is an excerpt from the article.

"Far from credible, these claims fall squarely within the bounds of what James Sire calls worldview confusion in reference to biblical interpretation: “ Worldview confusion occurs whenever a reader of Scripture fails to interpret the Bible within the intellectual and broadly cultural framework of the Bible itself and uses instead a foreign frame of reference ” (emphasis in original).5 In the case of passages such as Ezekiel 1, Sire adds, “Speculation is piled on speculation, but the evidence for it is exceptionally thin. Each passage of Scripture has to be made to mean something either other than it says or more than it says.”6 One biblical scholar adds, “I do not believe for a minute that UFOs are in the Bible. In every case mentioned previously [including Ezekiel 1], UFOlogists are reading their own meanings into the biblical text (eisegesis) rather than drawing their meanings from the biblical text (exegesis)…Ezekiel did not encounter a UFO but rather experienced a vision of the glory of God.”7

As far as claims that Jesus is or was an alien are concerned, they, too, are based on wild speculation, worldview confusion, poor interpretation, and a complete disregard of the cultural context of the New Testament. The biblical evidence is clear: Jesus’ origins are indeed not of this earth, but neither is He from another planet: He is the Lord from heaven, but He was in fact born as a human being, in the flesh (incarnated), in a specific location (Bethlehem). Nothing that He said or did, taken at face value within its context, is remotely related to aliens."

Conjecture and Conspiracy Theories

Here is an article on why people believe theories when there is little evidence. When wrestling with these types of theories, I think it is helpful to understand why people build up such systems. The ancient Gnostic heresies used a similar tactic - they told you that you were the holder of “secret knowledge” and made you feel special or “in the know”. These theories play off hooks we have in our own mind - needs that we have in our own life to feel in control and feel special. If we understand why these theories are appealing, then we can deal with them at a heart level and think more rationally about how to set them aside.

Psychology Today Article on Conspiracy Theories

• The desire for and certainty
  • The desire for control and security
  • The desire to maintain a positive self-image and be the holder of privileged knowledge that makes the possessor feel unique and special

Here is another comment from the Hanegraaff article on how the theory regarding ancient aliens is rooted in conjecture and speculation.

“Dr. Clifford Wilson, interviewed a physics professor about von Däniken’s ideas. The professor’s comments remain astute and relevant: “[Von Däniken] takes conjectures, accepts them as fact, builds on to them way-out theories, and presents his ‘many small coincidences’ according to his own preconceived notions. He deliberately chooses the unconnected, weaves a semblance of connection around it, and puts his theories out as foregone conclusions…it may make exciting reading, but one dare not accept it as substantially credible.”9 These remarks remain quite applicable to similar sorts of arguments and reasoning presented by contemporary proponents of ancient aliens. In sum, the opposing evidence results in “game over” for these modern space invaders, offering no compelling reasons to abandon existing viewpoints.”

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi @Jennifer_May,

Thank you for raising this question in Connect! What an interesting prompt for discussion and conversation!

Here’s one way of looking at the issue: there are hundreds of thousands of theories to explain the Bible that have no evidential or rational support. They are just theories. For instance:

• The Bible was written by intelligent dolphins
  • The Bible shows us encounters with ancient aliens
  • The Bible was written by the sun god Ra (who the Egyptians worshipped)

I suppose we could go on and conjecture the specific details of many other theories. The point in putting out three of them is to say, well, why should I believe any of these theories? Just because someone says something doesn’t mean they’ve argued for something. For instance, if I say, “I am the smartest person who ever lived”, are you obligated to take that claim seriously? That’s doubtful. :slight_smile:

What I would recommend you do with outlandish theories is say, “Hmmmm, interesting. Well, if there’s any evidence for it, perhaps I’ll look into it.”

On the other hand, if you meet a person who proposes an outlandish theory, then you could say, “Hmmmm, interesting. Tell me more!” You engage with understanding their point of view because you want to learn from their perspective, but also because you want to see if the Holy Spirit guides you to any points of connection between what they currently believe and the good news about Jesus.

I’d be curious to hear more from you about how you evaluate the ancient alien hypothesis.

(Jennifer Fernandez) #10

Thank you. No. There is a show called Ancient Alien Terrorist. They make valid points which confuses me which I know is not from God

Thank you so much. I will look further into this!

Amen!! Thank you!! I will read these as the external mind battles from outside. His Devine word is truth and gives clarity and peace!!

I will have more time to answer the follow up questions tonight. Thank you all so very much as this has bothered me for three years!

(Jim) #12

Hi Jennifer

One thing to add is that if you look into Scientology, it too is founded on aliens - Ron Hubbard started out as a writer of science fiction before inventing Scientology. As far as I know there are millions of people who subscribe to that, so you’re not alone in struggling with this question!

Blessings!

(Jennifer Fernandez) #13

@SeanO this was very helpful. I can’t tell you and the other commentators how wonderful it is to have my questions answered by you with the truth and word of God. I think I knew this (what you have said), but struggled to not allow myself to be confused. I am free of that confusion and will read your comments often when doubts flood my mind about any topic really! It is my own fault for watching the “documentaries” when I knew they didn’t line up with scripture albeit they were alluring. As you mentioned, I need to renew my mind in scripture and praise music with prayer and praise. I feel foolish but grateful for this opportunity to reflect on the lies I allowed myself to think on. I am committing myself to think on what is right and the truth, which is the Word. To praise Him and focus on my relationship with Him so that I won’t be so easily distracted from Who God is and what he has done for me. For us!!

Bless you all for helping me and speaking the Word over me and to me! May you continue to be a light!!

(Jennifer Fernandez) #14

@rroach7 I was not particularly talking about them. But that is raised with in the ancient alien theory as well. I would like to learn more about that too but it’s always been confusing to me.

(John J Stanley ) #15

Most ancient alien shows postulate that life on Earth began when aliens “seeded” the planet jump starting the evolution process. The theory is called panspermia. In other words, life on Earth is extraterrestrial in origin. Watchers of Star Trek the Next Generation know they opted for this theory. The problem with this belief is first cause. If aliens created life here, who created them there? There has to be a first cause. And any notion that the universe created itself is nonsense. Nothing cannot create something. Only God, a being of aseity who exists in and of himself, could have created the universe and us.

(Jennifer Fernandez) #16

@itstanley1959 that is so very true and I am sure my inicial curiosity did come from science fiction shows. Now that I’m putting God first, I must retrain my mind to think on scripture as it is the truth… not what is presented in shows/movies.

(SeanO) #17

@Jennifer_May I am glad it was helpful! I do not think there is any reason to feel foolish. Curiosity is part of our human nature and there is nothing wrong with understanding different philosophies or theories about life, but we must also guard our hearts. We are each prone to different weaknesses or being confused in certain ways and as we grow in self-awareness we can learn to better guard our hearts.

May the Lord bless you richly as you grow in Him!

Proverbs 4:23 - “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”

(Frederick Meekins) #19

Not ridiculous at all. This sort of spirituality is increasingly pervasive as science unhinges from Christian moorings and turns back on itself into the mystical.

(Frederick Meekins) #20

The science fiction shows, can though, be a good source from which to gather intelligence on what sorts of spiritual/philosophical ideas are popular and can serve as a point of contact for additional clarification and reflection between the two schools of thought.