Anderson Cooper's interview of Stephen Colbert

Hi friends,

I’m curious to hear your reflections on this candid, poignant video interview of Stephen Colbert by Anderson Cooper:

You’ll have to click through to the tweet to see the video.

I find it moving to hear Colbert’s honest, heartfelt acknowledgment of the gratitude he feels for all of his life. In addition, the way he has come to see even his suffering as a gift, because of the way it has enabled connection, love, and becoming more human.

10 Likes

Wow.

I’m wondering at which point in the things he experienced that he came to this feeling of gratitude. With my sister’s ordeal with cancer, and her death, I came to recognize that what had really needed to be healed in her life happened because of her suffering. It may not have happened any other way. So I do see her ordeal and suffering as a gift. But I was also looking for God work and presence in the process. As I would expect with Stephen Colbert–given what he revealed of his Christian outlook.

To come to this conclusion, would you need to have a worldview that God is in control and His ultimate purposes will both be fulfilled and good? But does that also presume that God is the author of even evil? I find those hard to wrestle with the differences between what God causes, and what God allows–and how those align with His will. Usually I end up with a headache trying to think through it and settle on the thought, “He’s God. I’m not.”

Thanks Carson for sharing that interview.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I love Stephen Colbert. He is so funny but it is refreshing to see the serious side of him and hear him express his gratitude. His honesty in saying, “some people aren’t grateful, and I’m not always.” I can certainly relate to that. I am not always grateful and complain too much.

Interestingly enough, the times I am most grateful is when I am ministering to someone else who is suffering. Taking care of my mother n law as she was dying. Being there for my sister when my niece died. Helping my sister get dressed because her arthritis was so crippling. Holding her hand, kissing her cheek and whispering in her ear as she was dying. Holding the hand of a friend, praying for her in the hospital as she was dying. Hugging, praying and crying with a woman I met recently who struggled with so many inner demons, etc.
These are the times I am most grateful and ironically “joyful.” The times I am most miserable is when I am self consumed.

There is something very profound about partaking in other people’s suffering. Because like Stephen said, “ everyone is suffering” and “ the great gift of sacrifice of Jesus on the cross” that “God suffers too.” Wow!
I don’t do so well in my own sufferings. It’s only after the fact that I can focus on the profound lessons. Perhaps that is why we need each other, to “carry” each other through…

This was wonderful to watch.
Thank you Carson :pray:t3:

7 Likes

A great feed, Carson. Listen to the way Colbert answers Cooper at the very start of the clip. He pauses a moment in reflection, then says “Yes” with such an intensely gentle expression of mercy and vulnerability - one word that carried such powerful conviction of identity with suffering. For all I know Colbert could have been preaching from 1Thessalonians 5: 18 where Paul urges us to give thanks in everything for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.

Thanks for posting the interview. It should become a classic.

2 Likes

When I saw this, I was quite shocked. I’ve watched Stephen Colbert over the years (though I do not agree on most he has to say) and what stunned me was when the Pope came to America, and Colbert put on a big display on his show. He stated what a bad Catholic he was, and how the Pope would never allow him to be near him. It displayed guilt. Recently, he interviewed Jim Gaffigan and asked him about his religious ideologies. Jim is typically a clean comedian, Catholic, and considered family-friendly. He also opened for the Pope when he came to visit, but he recently came out with a rated-R movie where he drops the F-bomb continuously. He responded to Colbert with some annoyance, “your the only one to ask me about my Catholicism.” It was if they had switched roles from the past. It seems Colbert has recently been convicted, or turned over a new leaf. It also seems that he is mostly acting in his show for ratings though he claims he is not acting. I guess only time will tell. I found his interview with Anderson moving and brave. Anderson is incredibly bitter and hateful towards Christians.