Andrew C

(Andrew J Campany) #1

Hello, I am from upstate NY, grew up SDA, and now am venturing into other denominational realms of Christianity to further expand my perspective of wisdom and interpretation of the gospel. I have fully acknowledged that not one perspective is wholly and holy correct since we were all born into sin and that not one person as it completely right. That is why I believe we all have our own abilities and gifts to contribute to community belief in order to bring and build up others in faith and in our experiences with God and engaging in the serenity that comes from the only true peace from Christ.
I am reaching out of my native understanding of SDA beliefs and would like to listen out of the closed doors that unfortunately were in placed while growing up. With that, a concrete pier of adventist faith was the strict Jewish rest value of the Saturday Sabbath. It seems that all other protestant denominations don’t hold this as tightly as I was brought up to do. I would like to inquire if and how to interpret the NT value of the Sabbath. In the scriptures, Jesus died on prep say and rose again on Sunday and his followers wanted to wrap and balm his body before Friday sundown. What scriptures and interpretations define the way on how we should keep the fourth commandment that God said to remember?
Respectively,
Andrew C.

3 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@AndrewCampany As NT believers, Christ is our Sabbath rest. We are no longer required to observe the Sabbath. However, we should also respect the conscious of those who still feel compelled to do so.

Christ be with you :slight_smile:

Romans 14:5 - One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Believers are not obligated to observe the Sabbath. The Sabbath was the sign of the Mosaic covenant. The Mosaic covenant and the Sabbath as the covenant sign are no longer applicable now that the new covenant of Jesus Christ has come. Believers are called upon to honor and respect those who think the Sabbath is still mandatory for believers. But if one argues that the Sabbath is required for salvation, such a teaching is contrary to the gospel and should be resisted forcefully. In any case, Paul makes it clear in both Romans 14:5 and Colossians 2:16–17 that the Sabbath has passed away now that Christ has come.

2 Likes