Announcing the RZIM Connect community's response to Outgrowing God!

Hi friends,

I am excited to announce the publication of the RZIM Connect community’s response to Richard Dawkins’ book Outgrowing God.

Upon the publication of his book, I wondered to myself: can ordinary, regular disciples of Jesus in RZIM Connect reply to the arguments of one of the world’s most famous atheists and scientists?

With this question in mind, I invited some of the more active members of RZIM Connect to propose responses to the various claims that Dr. Dawkins presents in his latest book. Along the way, @Joshua_Hansen, one of our moderators, and @Olivia_Davis, a professional writer, joined the project to review the content and writing style of each article. They both demonstrated tremendous competence and talent, but more importantly, they approached the project in a spirit of prayer and humble love for the other participants.

I’m delighted to share that the authors of these replies include a stay-at-home mom, a stay-at-home dad, a high school principal, a PhD student in computer science, a painter, a finance professional, an empty nester, and a systems administrator. Please join me in thanking God for bringing this team together.

As I reviewed the final list of articles for this project, I am encouraged that our community upheld a consistently respectful approach to Dr. Dawkins.

At the same time, I believe that the statements in his book are fairly challenged. In some cases the established facts clearly contradict the points he makes. In other articles, you will see that Dawkins’ portrayal is an illegitimate straw man version of what Christians believe. And in some examples, the reasoning is rebutted.

While this project isn’t a comprehensive reply, it does demonstrate that there is nothing to fear from Richard Dawkins’ latest book. And it shows that regular Christians - people just like you and me - can access terrific scholarship, organize logical replies, and respectfully demonstrate that the challenges raised by Outgrowing God fall short of disproving the good news about Jesus.

In fact, this is the kind of conversation we seek to host every day in RZIM Connect! To date, there have been over 60,000 posts in the community!

I am encouraged that we are building a culture of consistently gracious speech as we present the truth in love. Please join me in praying for God to enable us to worship him with all of our minds as we seek to serve one another in this community.

You can access all of this team’s replies to Dawkins’ book here: https://connect.rzim.org/c/daily-evangelism/outgrowing-God/183

16 Likes