Apologetics: where do I start?

(Josiah Alga) #1

Hello,
I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the Bible and I have always wanted to seek more than what is given. Apologetics is a very broad topic and personally I do not know where to start or what to read. I can really appreciate the help thankss!

5 Likes
(Roy Sujanto) #3

Hi @TheJozenOnee,

Thank you for slowing down and asking the important question where to start.

Best place to start is with ourselves. Ravi said the first task of an apologist is himself. As 1 Pet 3:15-16 says, “sanctify the Lord God in your hearts”, then be ready to give a defense(apologia).

Now as skeptical questions to tackle, I think best place to start is with the questions you may be asking yourself. Every day, as you are reading His word, be a good exegete, ask questions, and research what you are reading daily. I will suggest writing a journal or create a note (in Youversion app).

Next, as you live an exemplary Christian life, you will start to attract people around you who thinks you are so different to others, and soon they will come to you, not just to ask why you are so different, but bringing difficult questions that they are struggling with to you. Then you can start with those questions to relate and impact those around you.

Trust me, as you research more from these questions, you will stumble upon resources after resources that tackles other questions as well.

Good, credible resources, I personally refer to, are those by Ravi Zacharias, John Lennox, and all the RZIM speaking team, Frank Turek, J Warner Wallace, William Lane Craig, Lee Strobel, Gray Habermas, and so many, many more. David Wood, Nabeel Qureshi, and Abdu Murray are good for Muslim-related apologetics.

For websites, there are carm.org, answersingenesis.org, thebibleproject.com, gotquestions.org. There are lots more that you will come across.

Lastly, but most importantly, I would strongly suggest to start with the Core Module by the RZIM Academy Online, if you haven’t.

Or you can browse thru some of the questions others have raised in RZIM Connect too, expose yourself to more questions, that you didn’t even imagine yourself asking.

Have fun exploring, learning, and growing as you dive deeper into apologetics. Hope that helps. Really love your question btw, so humbling.

Blessings in Christ,
Roy Sujanto

6 Likes
(Keldon Scott (Kel)) #4

I would say start with the book of John. Pray that the Lord would guide your understanding. Then if you want some curriculum I would start with the Core Module. It is such a great foundation. https://rzimacademy.org/
But you could also start with some foundational books: Grandweaver by Ravi; Mere Christianity by CS lewis; The Reason for God by Tim Keller to mention a few. Or, type in some topics that interest you or that you have contemplated in the search bar above. My surmise is that there will be a thread that intrigues you. God-bless.

4 Likes
(Auron Wee C. Villegas) #5

I suggest you will work and collaborate with the nearest apologetics huge admirer and seeker from your town. He is from SMRU😊.

God bless your journey!

2 Likes
(Josiah Alga) #6

Hahahaha will contact youu auron hahahaha miss youu

3 Likes
(Vili) #7

If i may @TheJozenOnee
I’m currently on my own apologetics journey, and am currently reading Greg Koukl’s Tactics. I’m not an expert, but after reading Greg’s article “Bloom Where Your Planted” (something I recommend), I think it’s okay to start serving where I’m at in the small things.

I think maybe look into JP Morelands Book Loving God With All Your Mind. It’s got some starters on what to think about (like brief details about the Arguments for Gods Existence, the Evidence for the Reliability of the Gospels).

And if you want to go into more details, you can look into the resources that he suggests at the end of the book, or go into JP Moreland’s website for further resources, including a couple books on Apologetics

4 Likes
(Sara Isaac) #8

Hello Josiah! It’s so great that you have developed this interest. RZIM Connect is such a great place to get exposed to different kinds of questions and answers as well. I am curious Josiah, have you struggled with any part of faith recently? A part of the bible? Certain doctrine? Certain theology?
I believe that you can jump from there, from what concerns you and keeps you up at night. What you struggle with personally, will eventually be a strong evangelistic tool. As @RoySujanto mentioned the famous verse of 1peter 3:15, we always focus on “be ready to give a defense” while the “sanctify the Lord God in your hearts” part is the reason for the later. Peter and John stood in Acts 4 in front of the high priests, they were amazed by how they spoke although they were uneducated! And later when they threatened them, Peter replied and told them “we cannot but speak of what we have heard and seen.” The journey that he has walked with Jesus, with its ups and downs, misconceptions, betrayal and doubts finally paid off.
Will pray for you Josiah that God guides your coming steps and enlarges your territory!
Sara Isaac

3 Likes