Applying the Law of Non-Contradiction to Hinduism

(Robert Fields) #1

Ravi’s account of the American philosopher, teaching Hinduism, makes me think of this: If contradictions in the world of Hinduism are accepted without having trouble then why can’t I live a life in contradiction to Hinduism without any fear of Karma?

Second, if I understand this right, there really is no “I” in this world, only the Brahman, so who is Karma judging to decide there needs to be payment for “sins” in this life or the life to come (reincarnation)?

Third, my premise is that only a person (with a will) can judge a person. Again, if I have this right, there is no “I” to “You” relationship in the universe so, who is exercising judgment over individuals to determine the need for Karma and reincarnation (a payment for sins)? Is it myself?

What am I missing?

Thanks and God Bless!

(Melvin Greene) #2

I remember well this story that Ravi shared. I get a chuckle every time I think of it. One of the biggest truths that I learned from this story is that when you try to disprove the law of noncontradiction, you actually are proving it.

(Curran Harms) #3

Where is the info or lecture about this from Ravi, I love the way you put this about the problems wirh hinduism. I would love to learn more. Did this come from one of his lectures? Thank you

(Robert Fields) #4

Curran,

You can listen to this account on his podcast, RZIM.orghttp://RZIM.org; Just Thinking. Look for “The Uniqueness of Christ in World Religions”.

He does not specifically mention what I have but you do get the bases for where I’m coming from.

Thanks!

God Bless!
Robert

(Curran Harms) #5

Thank you so much God bless. I will check it out!!!

(Robert Fields) #6

Thank you to all who have responded so far. However, no one has actually commented on the content of my questions. Are my premises correct? Are my conclusions correct? That’s what I’m looking for feedback on.

Thanks,
Robert

(Daniel) #7

Hello!
You touched on a really complex topic. Hinduism is really a vast ocean of thought, there are many different ideas about Hinduism different people believe. It’s interesting that you noted about the contradiction, this triggered in me a train of thought and I’m gonna try to interview some Hindu friends about this.

As for there not being ‘I’ in the world this is also confusing as again different Hindus have different conception about God, some think that Bhrama, Shiva and Vishnu are one but three different forms taking on different tasks like creating, sustaining and destroying, and some reject the trinity concept and only believe in Surya, some believe in 5 set of gods, so different ideas about God. Bhrama is a God who is not worshiped very much some myth says that shiva cursed Bhrama because when he was creating the world he made a woman helper and got very infatuated with her, so I can see ‘I’ and ‘you’ over here, it’s confusing I don’t know what they’re trying to say about the nature of God and man but they definitely don’t have one firm answer.

(Robert Fields) #8

Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. With such an inability to nail anything down, philosophically or theologically, how is it possible to hold unwaveringly to “karma” and “reincarnation”? A religion can’t be that fluid in its doctrine but somehow find a solid bases for such core beliefs. I’m not trying to bash Hinduism or Hindus. I am questioning their doctrines. Just thinking!

God Bless!
Robert

(Daniel) #9

Hey,
Your thoughts are legitimate many people also have different conceptions about karma, but you got to keep in mind that most Hindus are Hindus because of the way their parents brought them up and what is in us , so the mindset is really passed on from hundreds of generations, the challenge here is not reasoning but the powerful entity inside us passed on to us from thousands of years, that is what that needs to be uprooted, you can see some of the very highly intellegient minds, sometimes in weddings just blindly saying everything the priest says, he probably has no idea what the priest is saying, it’s more like reasoning and spirituality are not parellel to each other. I don’t mean to generalise in any way. I have encountered many Hindus who have no idea why they believe what they do, it’s just the way we are brought up.

(Robert Fields) #10

Daniel,

Thank you for your insights. They are appreciated.

Robert