Are Father God and Father Christmas Fundamentally Alike?

Is God making a list and checking it twice? Is there a difference between the gifts of Santa and the gift of Jesus? Vince and Jo sit down for a special Christmas episode of Ask Away where they discuss the similarities and differences between Santa and God, and tackle the thorny issue of whether it’s a good idea to persuade your kids to believe in Santa Claus. Do you make it a practice in your home to have Santa as a part of Christmas?

2 Likes

Strange episode. I wonder on what base at 11 minutes they believe that the understanding of God in Islam is closer to Santa than the God of Christianity. Surely the culture of God having to fulfil our wishes upon prayer is so much more a western world expectation. To even contemplate the question of Santa having anything to do with God makes an artificial scenario. Better make a program on how to wean western society of the Prince of commerce

1 Like

Hi @Gerhard_G,
Thank you for your honest feedback on the podcast! I had not had a chance to listen yet, so your comments interested me.

I believe the idea about Santa being more similar to God of Islam was less developed when the comment was made than it was inferred at various times in the podcast, so I can see your critique. Vince discusses the fact that Santa measures a person’s “good/badness” and he leaves coal for bad behavior and gifts for good. So there is a clear value presented in the works of the individual who is expected to earn the pleasure of the gift giver. In this sense it is similar to Islam where one achieves paradise through being good and practicing approved works that please God.

God of Christianity in Jesus Christ does not wait for us to get good enough (thank goodness since we can’t!) and makes Himself known by bestowing good things upon all mankind.

For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45b

And then presents the solution to enmity of man by sending His own Son to save us. But only through Jesus are we able to be viewed as righteous before God, and His righteousness is available to everyone who will receive it as a gift. Jesus cleanses our sins, and restores our relationship with God by fulfilling all the requirements to come into His Presence. His Presence is a present, a gift that we don’t earn.

Which, as I sit here, is another interesting thought…since gifts aren’t earned as the definition of “gift” is:

something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present. (Italics is mine)

Santa has more issues than we realize! :grimacing:

I agree, it does seem strange, especially to those who know the Lord, to compare Santa to God. I’m quite sure the question was presented by someone and the Vitales took it on in the spirit of the season.

Happy New Year to you, and thank you for connecting on Connect!

2 Likes