Are Humans Just “Waste with an Expiration Date”? What Happens to Us When We Die?

What happens to us when we die? How do you hope in a world plagued by death? In the popular TV show “House,” the unconventional, slightly wacky Dr. House bluntly tells a patient, "You’re mortal, just a bag of cells. You’re waste with an expiration date.” This is actually the implication of an atheistic worldview, Alex Stark says. If God isn’t real, then death is the end. Some may say to this that, “I’m not here for a long time, but I’m here for a good time.” But the reality under this worldview is that living our best life now will ultimately be meaningless. Hear a different perspective on this in today’s Take Five, “Death: How to Hope.”

The fundamental story you believe about this universe will dictate how you experience the fact of death.

Unless we have a hope that transcends death, then even living your best life now will ultimately be meaningless.

The Christian story gives us a license to call death an enemy, so we’re free to grieve it. At the same time, it gives us a hope which tempers that grief, so we grieve with hope.

Make it Personal

• How might you reframe “I’m not here for a long time, but I’m here for a good time” into terms that the Christian might espouse?

• How do you hope in a world plagued by death?

2 Likes

I just reread The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. What many Christians do not realize is that one of the attributes of a healthy worldview as defined by Razi (origin, meaning, morality, destiny) is that life does have meaning and we indeed do have a destiny. The two greatest plagues of man (sin and death) are taken care of for us, we are free to live now in God’s Kingdom (The Kingdom of God is at Hand) Matt 3:2, and enjoy life to the full ( I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly). John 10:10. The gospel is not the gospel of sin management, most live their life with hopes in the hereafter, but our hope should be now, this moment, this day! Oh how sad that secular, atheist do not comprehend the wonder, beauty and joy of living with Christ inside us and that dogma and law do not hold sway over us! (Please see definition in The Divine Conspiracy) - me urging you to dig a bit deeper, ha ha, :-). Ask yourself, am I living an abundant life? What does that mean? Is joy in the midst of sorrow something you experience? Just what does it mean to be led by The Spirit? I hope and pray that you mediate on these things! Psalm 1:2. Have a blessed day friends, grace and peace!

1 Like

I don’t know how old Alex Stark is, but I am amazed at the wisdom and understanding of not only this young brother but many others on the RZIM team by the Spirit of the living God. I am a senior and I am continually edified, helped into that place of awe of our awesome Lord, and praising God for how He continues to nourish, stir, grow, transform, and sanctify us through these kinds of theologically rich devos. I am soooooo grateful! I am completely amazed and encouraged of how the Spirit is on the move throughout the whole world. May Your Name be high and lifted up today and in increasing measure until You come for Your church, Lord.

1 Like