Are modern study bibles interpreted from corrupted manuscripts?

(Scott) #1

Hi everyone,

Are modern bible translations corrupt?

I have faced this “King James Only” argument in the past but it has been about 20 years. There are many advocating more often now, including Atheists that modern translations (NKJV, NIV, NASB, etc) are dangerous and based upon corrupted manuscripts - particularly taking issue with Alexandrian regional manuscripts.

I can personally give 25 years of backing that I own KJV, NKJV and NIV (1984), including an NASB/NIV/Greek parallel and have never found any corruption or contradiction either in essential doctrine (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Salvation, etc) or meaning. I have them all, not due to a lack of confidence in any of them, but wanting a deeper, thorough insight. Beside, not even all manuscripts are word for word accurate within themselves but there are enough to know and compile inerrant meaning from God.

Could someone speak to this and maybe provide some creditable resources, not just for myself, but anyone who may stumble upon this issue.

Thanks,
Scott

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

@S_Vallery I have attached a link to a very interesting thread with plenty of resources and great comments.

(C Rhodes) #3

I’m sorry I am not familiar with other sources, but I often think when people make this claim that there is some disingenousness to such statements. All texts in this world are written by some human. All of them. Yet only the Bible is considered corrupt because of its manuscripts. No other written word can boast of such absolute evidence of its legitimacy yet it is declared undependable. Each decade has shown to be in error to some of the biblical tenets, but the Word of GOD remains complete in its meaning, influence and power to deliver.

I think how often the tenets of Science and the Medical profession are altered, proven wrong or disregarded. Yet no one rejects those disciplines. For goodness sake, we don’t fear Medical disciplines and they can’t operate unless they are equipped with malpractice insurance to cover their errors!

Perhaps the real emphasis should be asked in a question. All writings are man made therefore subject to some corruption. But which ones are a living text relevant to the needs of every century. If that does not represent continuity and legitimacy what can? To worry about some version of the Bible is to discount the power and authority of GOD.

If the Word of GOD has withstood every attempt by the greatest recorded kingdoms of this world, why would GOD be powerless to reach people except through a single version of His truth? I prefer the KJV but the arm of GOD has never been too short to save and redeem. Our dilemmas remain the opportunities for GOD to show Himself wholly GOD.