Are modern western societies anesthesied by the enemy?

(Emmanuel Le Goff) #1

Hi, I remember a discussion with one of my church brothers having quite an impact on me. He relayed to me a theory from a preacher (sorry don’t remember the name) which described our modern western societies as having been anesthesied by the enemy. The view was that there is so much comfort and with self centered and individualistic values that most won’t have any appetite in seeking God.
Now I live myself in the UK and while I consider myself as a devout Christian, I am still sensitive to material comfort for my family and I. Am I being trapped by the enemy?
Thank you for your comments
Manny

(SeanO) #2

@elegoff Let’s try to think through this question and see if the answer presents itself. What are your thoughts on the following questions?

• What has Jesus called us to be and do as His disciples?
  • In what ways could comfort prevent you from fulfilling Jesus’ call?
  • Is wealth inherently bad? Were there Christians who were wealthy? If so, what made them different?

(Kevin Priger) #3

I appreciate this question @elegoff posed as well as your response with additional questions. But since it has been so long with no further discussion, I hoped maybe my answers to @SeanO’s questions might start it up again.

• What has Jesus called us to be and do as His disciples?
      I believe we are called to be His hands and His feet. We are to allow Him to reach others through our actions and relationships with others.
  • In what ways could comfort prevent you from fulfilling Jesus’ call?

I’ve thought about this often when I see the way others in 3rd world countries live. It seems so uncomfortable to me that I hope God doesn’t call me to go there. (Being completely honest)

• Is wealth inherently bad? Were there Christians who were wealthy? If so, what made them different?

The desire for and obsession with wealth is bad. It can get in the way of my relationship with Jesus. (Rich young ruler) But it can also free me to be what God want me to be and reach people others with less wealth might not be able to reach.

Just some thoughts to hopefully get the conversation going again. I can learn a lot from this particular topic.