Are most people going to hell?

(Darragh Mullins) #1

In the Bible, it talks about the narrow path and broad path. The broad path leads “to destruction”. This that mean that most people on earth will go to hell? If that’s the case, doesn’t that really drain ones motivation to evangelize people? Also why would God create BILLIONS of people and have most of them endure ETERNAL TORTURE!? Also doesn’t that destroy the whole pro-life message/movement? I mean you save babies being aborted but…most of them will suffer eternal torture after they live and die…so is it better to have them aborted so that will have an easy ticket to heaven? I know that sounds really messed up (please forgive me). But it’s something that’s been in my mind for awhile.

(SeanO) #2

@DAZ Good questions. Regarding abortion, simply because a child may choose evil over good when they grow older does not make it okay for us to choose evil. Regarding Hell, it is not clear that people will suffer eternally for rejecting God. There are three views of what will happen to those who choose to reject God.

Ultimately I think we must ask ourselves the question, “Can I trust God with my own life?” We do not have all of the answers, but we can trust that God is love and that God is just because of the cross of Christ. God generally does not tell us anyone’s story but our own.

I like the way Lewis made this point - as well as an example from the Gospel of John. We only know our own story. Has God been faithful in your life? Can you trust Christ and learn that He is good? Once you do that, then you can trust Him with the unknown questions because you know Him and know that He is good!

“Child,’ said the Lion, 'I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own.” C. S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy

In John after Jesus predicts Peter’s death Peter asks about John’s story - here is Jesus’ response:

John 21:20-22 - Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”) When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”

Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”

The three views of how God handles sin ultimately are:

1. Eternal torment - some form of eternal suffering or separation from God
  2. Conditionalism - those who reject God are judged and then cease to exist
  3. Universalism - sin is real, but all people will eventually be brought to repentance

Here is a movie I suggest watching that discusses the story of a man who came to believe in conditionalism after being asked to research the concept of Hell in the Bible. He struggles with the same question you are asking about eternal torment.

https://hellandmrfudge.org

Connect Threads

Are we predetermined?