Are red letters more important?

(Ryan C Melcher) #1

I knew a pastor who thought that Jesus’s words in scripture were more important than the rest of scripture. This seemed a little out of sorts to me considering the entire Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit. Consider:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, - 2 Timothy 3:16

And

19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, 20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. - 2 Peter 1:19-21

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(SeanO) #2

@RyanMelcher I think my short answer would be this: All Scripture is equally inspired, but not all Scripture is equally profitable.

The geneaologies in Genesis are just as inspired as the Sermon on the Mount, but the Sermon on the Mount is more profitable to our walk with God. If I were going to be stranded on an island and could only choose certain Scripture passages to have with me, I would definitely favor some over others because some are so profitable to our walk. Is that a helpful way of thinking about it?

(Ryan C Melcher) #3

@SeanO ,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me. To provide further clarity on my question I think the plaster I mentioned was comparing the words of Jesus to the Epistles of Paul. Do you have any additional incite here?

Thanks,

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(SeanO) #4

@RyanMelcher I am not sure what that particular Pastor intended when he said that Jesus’ words were more ‘important’. I do not like the word ‘important’ - both Paul’s letters and Jesus words are important. Personally if I were stranded on a desert island I would want the Gospels and St. Paul’s letters, because Paul does so much to unpack the full nature of who Christ is… Or at least I would want portions of each. In terms of how ‘profitable’ they are, both are extremely profitable, so much so that I would probably take the Gospel of John, the Gospel of Matthew, Romans, Galatians, Philippians and Colossians if I were forced to choose only a few.

Not sure I could say much more without actually speaking with the individual who made these comments. Hope that was helpful :slight_smile:

(Kathleen) #5

Hi, @RyanMelcher! I agree with what @SeanO has initially said, and I’m curious if you know which words this pastor was comparing. Do you know? It seems to be setting up a premise that some of Paul’s words are at odds with Jesus’… :slight_smile:

(Ryan C Melcher) #6

@KMac

Thanks for the reply. It’s been too long I don’t remember the exact context. What you suggest seems in the ball park though. I think it was along the lines if Jesus and Paul disagree Jesus is right, or perhaps overrides Paul, because He is God. To me they just flesh out different aspects of a related issue. As I mentioned in my first post, regarding the paster, this seemed odd to me as the Holy Spirit is God as well and is key in the inspiration / inscripturation (sp?) process. I probably should have been more clear in my question. I also agree with SeanO regarding profitability.

Thanks,

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(Jimmy Sellers) #7

You have gotten some good answers on your question from @SeanO.
Let me give you something that has helped me when people try to divide of somehow categorize the Bible and in doing so the implication is that this part or that part is more or less necessary. For starters I don’t like to refer to the scriptures as OT and NT and to my point the first known use of the phrase “Old Testament” occurred in the writings of Melito of Sardis (c. AD 180), and that of the “New Testament” in Irenaeus’s Against Heresies (4.91), from around the same time.
I say all that to setup my metaphor.
I view the Bible as a garment, a very fine garment that is knit together from finely combed and spun yarn, one long and continuous uniform piece of yarn. The knitted garment is complete it has function and is beautiful to behold but as you look closely at the garment you can see wonderful patterns and colors. You might even like those parts so much that you would be tempted cut them out for your enjoyment but as soon as you cut out the pattern the rest of the garment unravels and loses some of its functions and much of its beauty.

My thoughts.

I hope this helps