Are Spiritual Truths Exclusive? Ravi Zacharias and Abdu Murray

Hi friends,

Ravi Zacharias and Abdu Murray will come together to discuss the question, “Are Spiritual Truths Exclusive?” at the University of Delaware on November 4, 7:00–9:00 p.m. EST. Questions are encouraged, and all are welcome from all backgrounds!

The event will be live-streamed and available to watch right here in RZIM Connect!

It will also be available on Ravi’s Facebook page and our YouTube channel; I hope you’ll use these tools to spread the word!

7 Likes

Looking forward to the talk and the discussion here on Connect!

1 Like

My notes from Abdu’s talk!

When we change our convictions we change a part of ourselves.

The exclusivity of truth forces us to make a choice. When we encounter a truth which contradicts our beliefs we have to choose whether to change our beliefs or deny the truth.

Even attempts at being inclusive become exclusive.

Being exclusive is unavoidable when it comes to truth claims.

We used to meet in the civic public square and now we meet in the gladiatorial arena. We sent up our gladiators against the other gladiator to “crush” each other.

Religion is the only area of culture that we try to claim are the same. We do not try to do the same with political or economic systems.

Jesus makes an exclusive claim. He says that he is the only way to God.

To claim that all religions are the same is actually disrespectful of other religions. How insulting must it be to a Muslim for you to say that his belief that God is a monad is the same as the Christian who thinks it is a Trinity.

When we engage with that tolerance means all ideas are the same and inclusive, not exclusive we lose the true meaning of tolerance. Tolerance is about learning to handle the stress between differing world views.

The push towards homogeneity does make people tolerant towards other faiths, it makes them indifferent.

It is possible for us to be both the source of our problem and the solution?

The attempt to make Jesus in our image is to do what Judas did, betray him with a kiss.

2 Likes

In this Sargasso Sea of fantasy and fraud, how can I or anyone else hope to swim unencumbered? How can I learn to see with, and not just through, the eye? How can I take off my own motley, wash away the makeup, raise the iron shutter, put out the studio lights, silence the sound effects, and put the cameras to sleep? Can I ever watch the sun rise on Sunset Boulevard, and the sun set over Forest Lawn?

Will I ever find real furniture among the studio props, silence in a discotheque, love in a strip tease? Read truth off an auto cue, catch it on a screen, chase it on the wings of muzak? View it in living color with the news, hear it in living sound along the motorways? No, not in the wind that rent the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks; not in the earthquake that followed, nor in the fire that followed the earthquake. I think I could probably hear it in that still, small voice. Not in the screeching of tires, either, or in the grinding of brakes; nor in the roar of jets or the whistle of sirens, or the howl of trombones, or the rattle of drums, or the chanting of demo voices. Again and again and again. I long for that still, small voice – if one could only catch it.

Malcolm Muggeridge, The Voice of Truth

1 Like

My notes from Ravi’s talk:

The charge of hypocrisy is the unwitting compliment that vice pays to virtue.

When everything else is conquered, two things will remain; the evil in our own hearts and death.

Secularization moved us through a process where religious institutions lost their social significance in our western culture.

As a result, we are in the quicksand of moral reasoning, where we no longer know what shame is legitimate and what shame is illegitimate.

Pluralization gives us a competing number of world views with no particular worldview being dominant. How do we decide what is worth preserving from the past? History is a collective memory with shared meaning from the past. We are lead into the quicksand of no logical reasoning. How do we know what is true?

In privatization, we have evicted God from the education process. A personal moral first cause places personal moral value on our lives.

How are we to find meaning if there is no truth in spiritual matters. Can the hard sciences lead us to meaning?

Grace and truth must be found together.

God created us with intrinsic worth and reflective splendor.

He gives us unity of worship and diversity of forms.

He gives us stewardship over creation and the sovereignty of the creator.

It is only redemption that precedes righteousness.

2 Likes