Are we still to follow the 10 commandments or are we saved from them?

(Stu) #1

Hi so I’ve heard we’ve been saved from the law.
I’ve head that the law was fulfilled through Jesus.
I’ve also heard that we are still under the law and on and on so what one is it? What’s your guys views about all the law

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

That is the very question that I ask my Sunday school teacher 30+ years ago. It’s not a one and done answer. I am on the road but I will add some content later this evening. I am that the community will be forth comming with some thoughts. It’s a great question.

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #3

i have though of this topic, too, and came to the conclusion that, concerning the ten commandments, there is nothing to be saved from.
I heard Ravi Zacharias say that if one had to put a title over the ten commandments, the word would be “sacred.” What we were saved from was our sins so that we had a pathway to God otherwise unattainable on our own. With the fact that Jesus died to free us from ourselves, he took the place of animal sacrifice (as the ongoing theme in the book of Hebrews attests) once and for all, making Judaism (God’s first covenant to to his people) obsolete and outdated (Heb 8).

I belive this article gets at to what I’m trying to say:

One thing I’d like to ask the RZIM community: Do we see the ten commandments as legalistic?

(Les) #4

Interesting topic. Jesus came to save us from our sins because we are incapable of following the 10 Commandments. Disobey just one and you’re guilty of disobeying all of them. As Paul asks, since we have been saved by our Savior, does that mean we can just live how we choose? Far from it! We are to obey Christ if we are following Him. Jesus took it a step further; it is not just disobeying a commandment by our actions, but just thinking about it causes us to violate a commandment.
Even though we are no longer bound to follow the 10 Commandments since Jesus came, the principle of those commandments still apply. I am a sinner; you, are a sinner and though we have the saving grace of Jesus Christ that cleanses us of our sins, we will not be completely free from sin until we have our glorified bodies.

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #5

@Lhugie
That is a great point. That is definitely a distinction that need to be made, thank you.

(Les) #8

I believe legalistic is something that goes beyond the grace of God. For instance, the more than 600 laws the Jews came up with such as cerimonial hand washing. That, from what I’ve been taught, would come under legalism.

(Andrew Bulin) #9

I would agree with the statements made here and think they all drive in pretty much the same direction regarding being saved by grace and into a freedom from the law.

Specific to the question if we should follow the Ten Commandments, I think it naturally takes place when we follow the commands of Jesus. He specifically said of the law:

Matthew 22:35-40 NASB
[35] One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, [36] “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” [37] And He said to him, "‘You SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ [38] This is the great and foremost commandment. [39] The second is like it, ‘You SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ [40] On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” …

I think it’s amazing how we can see that of all the Ten Commandments, Jesus was able to narrow it down, but to no less than two. Specifically speaking of the Ten, the first 3 pertain to God, and the last 7 pertain to others.

(Kathleen) #10

Hi, @Stu! Ah, the Law…always an interesting topic! :grin:

May I add to this discussion the idea of types of law? You mentioned the 10 Commandments, which is an example of the moral law. Then there are the judicial/civil laws which governed the Israelite nation (which also includes, yet expands, the moral law). And there was the ceremonial law that set out regulations for sacrifices, ceremonies, feasts, and festivals. The purity laws are also included in this set.

When Jesus says (as recorded in Matthew’s gospel) that he came not to abolish the Law but to fulfil it, he seems to be declaring that we are still ‘under the law’ (i.e. we are still answerable to God for the things we do…see Romans 1-3). The Law has not lost its validity - it is not gone, we still have to abide by it - yet, for those who receive the grace found in Christ, it has lost its power to ultimately condemn to death. Christ fulfilled all the requirements of the moral law, has died the death that we deserve, and his RIGHT-ness before the Law has been imputed to us.

As for the other two types, Jesus was the fulfilment of the ceremonial law (esp. re. the sacrificial system), so we celebrate/remember Him and not it. And an argument can be made that we don’t follow the civil law because it was law set down for a particular people at a particular time. (Side note: I realise that it’s a bit simplistic of me to attempt to sum it up in this fashion, and I’d welcome someone to bring up the challenges with that understanding! :upside_down_face:)

(Sven Janssens) #11

I love the subject :slight_smile:(welcome to my world) LOL

A couple of years I asked our youth if we are still living by the law if Jesus gave His life and we can not be saved by the law anymore.
They were quickly to understand this concept, until I asked if they were allowed to steal or lie or any other commandment.
“Of course not”
“Why?” I asked them
“Because it is in the bible” they replied.
“Yes it is … err, … is that not the law? Do we still have to live by the law?”

It was the same day their brains got fried … LOL …

One of my favorite verses on this subject is Romans 3:21-31
Especially the last verse where it says: Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.
Does that not tell us everything?

Since we are a new creation we are guided by the Holy Spirit, only to seek the presence of God. How can we sin if we became a new creation.
Even if you didn’t know the law, the law will be known in your heart, because God has placed it there.
You will know wrong from right. You will be loving God with all you are and have - and love your neighbor the way you love yourself.

Is is part of the new creation DNA :slight_smile:

In that sense you don’t need to tell the law what you ought to do or not to do. You will know, and with that we uphold/confirms the law.

Hoping this note will help you a little. Bless you very much. Love