Ark of the Covenant

When King Solomon put Ark into the newly built temple we are told only the stone tablets where there,what happened to the mana and budding rod of Aaron?Any explanation as to their absence?Significance?

1 Like

Interesting passage, @Alexander_Marozhe. I have not noticed that before.

I researched this in a few commentaries, but there is not much there in the text that lets us definitively explain why there was “nothing in the ark expect the two tablets.” What we can see though is that this is in line with the tradition laid out earlier in Deuteronomy:

Deuteronomy 10:5 NASB
[5] Then I turned and came down from the mountain and put the tablets in the ark which I had made; and there they are, as the LORD commanded me."

The items not present were later added. The manna that was added (Exo. 16:33) was a temporary provision that was added as a reminder that God would continued to provide for their physical needs in the wilderness, even into the 40 year wandering because of their rebellion. The budded staff of Aaron that was added (Num. 17:10) was a temporary reinforcement to put down the rebellion of the Israelites who were influenced by Korah’s rebellion (Num. 16). If being swallowed up was not enough, Aaron’s staff was the only one of the tribal leaders of Israel that budded to lessen the grumbling of the people (17:5).

Hundreds of years later, Solomon was dedicating the temple and putting the ark into it. This connects the ark to the original Exodus and provision of the Ten Commandments with the presence of God finally descending and dwelling in Jerusalem in the Temple. The covenant and the keeping of the law are permanently linked, where as the other items were temporary provisions suited for specific events.

Though the items are not present, they are not needed nor the long-lasting pieces of the covenant God had established. This is the best explanation I can come up with.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you think. :slight_smile:

Could it be that the missing items were expendable memorials of the past, but the 10 Commandments written in stone by the finger of God (twice, since Moses broke the first set) are eternal principles.

In the coming Kingdom we will continually live in the heart of each of those Commandments, in Christ.

John 15:14 Jesus speaking:
“If you love me, you will keep my Commandments".

1 John 5:3
“For this is the love of God, that we keep his Commandments. And his Commandments are not burdensome.”

Revelation 14:12
“Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the Commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.”

To the contrary,GOD said he would write his Law on our hearts therefore the tablets of stone if missing,we would have an explanation.Who would have been authorized to remove anything from the Ark and what reason would they have for doing so.

Yes, you are right, Alexander, God did promise to write His Law on our hearts and minds.

Hebrews 8:10 ESV
“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.”

This is the NT referring to statements by Jeremiah the prophet, around 600 BC. But Solomon built the first Temple about 950 BC, before the prophecy was given. So, at that time, the Commandments which God wrote in stone with His own finger (twice), were the holiest of objects, along with the Ark of the Covenant.

The other items may have been taken from the Ark when it was held captive by the Philistines in David’s time. The Commantments were the crucial contents of the Ark – nothing else has ever been written directly by the finger of God on an object that was preserved.

[[Of course there is the handwriting on the wall in Daniel 5, but the hand is not said to be the actual hand of God.

Daniel 5:23-25 NIV
“But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways. Therefore he sent the hand that wrote the inscription. This is the inscription that was written: mene, mene, tekel, parsin.”

And there was no object that preserved this handwriting mentioned in Scripture – the stone Tablets were His only known direct writing on a purposely preserved object.]]

1 Like