As Christians, what are we do with the call to seek justice, but also to forgive seventy-times-seven? What are the implications for social justice?

Hello Yutaro! Thank you so much for taking questions this week!

A question I’ve wrestled with lately-
As Christians, what are we do with the call to seek justice, but also to forgive seventy-times-seven? What are the implications for social justice? Or when I (regretfully) wrong others or others wrong me?

2 Likes

Hi @wbowman

Thank you for the great question:)
It is interesting how Christians are called to be both righteous and forgiving. Justice and forgiveness sometimes seem to be in conflict, but we see the perfect harmony in the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus always stood against evil. He never tolerated hypocrisy. He spoke surprisingly harsh words against those who were caught up in self-righteousness. Nevertheless, he was the one who said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” as he was being killed on the cross. He is the perfect example of someone who marries justice and forgiveness.

Christians are called to follow the footsteps of Jesus and never “be conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2). We should stand alongside those who are hurt and oppressed, and be the voice in the society to bring God’s values and virtues as salt and light of the world.
At the same time, you should “never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord’” (Romans 12:19). There is nothing wrong with having righteous anger against evil and injustice, but God tells us to bring it in front of Him. And because Jesus has forgiven us without limit, we should also forgive without limit. “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21).

How is that possible? It is because Jesus came not just as the perfect example but also as the redeemer. Jesus offers forgiveness and reconciliation, which enables us to receive the Holy Spirit. When the Spirit works in us, we can start to shift from seeking self-interest to sharing the selfless love of Christ.

May God use you mightily to bring peace and reconciliation into this world!

3 Likes

Thank you so much Yutaro! This is quite convicting, and also gives me much encouragement

I’m starting to see that maybe I misunderstood justice- what is the justice we are called to strive towards as believers?

Again, thanks so much for your answer. I have much to ponder and pray about

1 Like