Ask Amy Orr-Ewing (December 11-15, 2017)

ask_rzim
amyorrewing

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

This week we have the privilege of interacting with Amy Orr-Ewing!

EDIT: All Q&A with Amy has been split into their own topics. You can find them below.

Amy is an incredibly influential leader within RZIM and beyond. If you’ve ever spent time with her, you know that you always leave encouraged and more passionate to share the gospel.

Enjoy!

Carson

Amy’s official biography:
Amy Orr-Ewing is EMEA Director for RZIM, and Director of Programmes for the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics (OCCA).

Amy is a passionate exponent of a rational Christian response to many of the pressing cultural issues of the day, bringing her formidable theological knowledge to bear on a wide variety of subjects. She gained a first class degree in Theology at Christ Church, Oxford University, before receiving a Master’s in Theology from King’s College London. She is currently working on her Doctoral Thesis at Oxford University looking at the work of Dorothy L Sayers.

Amy has written two books exploring key questions in apologetics: Why Trust the Bible? and But Is It Real?. Her most recent publication is Millennials, which she co-authored with her husband Frog. They have also published Holy Warriors: A Fresh Look at the Face of Extreme Islam and Deep. She has contributed to the books Beyond Opinion, God and the Generations and Worth Knowing: Wisdom for Women.

Amy speaks and lectures on Christian Apologetics worldwide, at events such as Keswick and Alpha International, and on University campuses including Oxford, Cambridge, Vienna, and Hong Kong. Amy has been invited to speak in the White House, and on Capitol Hill, as well as the Speakers Rooms in the UK Parliament. Amy and her husband, Frog, lead a church in Buckinghamshire called Latimer Minster, which they planted in 2010.

Areas of interest: the nature of truth, identity, rational defence of Christianity, historicity of the Bible, New Testament history, ethical dilemmas, tolerance, evil, suffering, friendship, human trafficking.

Amy has made various appearances on national television in the UK including appearances on BBC Television (Blue Peter and Songs of Praise) and television networks in the USA. She is increasingly called upon to comment on a variety of topics relating to the Christian faith on radio interviews both across the UK and worldwide. She has contributed to various discussions including the BBC Radio 4’s Beyond Belief.

(Kay Kalra) #2

3 posts were split to a new topic: What are the most important habits in your life that maintain a passion for God and for the work of evangelism?

(Kay Kalra) #3

3 posts were split to a new topic: In I Samuel 19:23-24 and 10:9-11, what does it mean when it talks about Saul prophesying?

(joyce yung) #4

Amy
I just want to let you know that I love the explanation on the strong support of the integrity Bible simply from how the Bible address different people’s name.
Thank you Joyce Yung

(Amy Orr-Ewing) #6

Thank you Joyce! Internet is back on here and it’s now the evening. Tomorrow I speak at the British Parliament for their Christmas Carol service please pray for me!

(Helen Tan) #9

Hi Amy, thank you for this opportunity to dialogue with you. I was wondering if you could share some of the key accounts you wrote about in Holy Warriors: A Fresh Look at the Face of Extreme Islam, and how they would inform us in our theological reflections on what we see happening around us today. Thank you.

(Kay Kalra) #11

2 posts were split to a new topic: When speaking to the government what are the topics they are most keen to hear about?

(Kay Kalra) #12

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do I establish my Christian identity absent a clear calling?

(Kay Kalra) #13

A post was merged into an existing topic: What is prayer walking?

(Andrew Ingram) #16

Hi Amy,

would you be able to provide some non-Christian reading material regarding th historicity of the Gospels, especially Jesus crucifixion?

Thanks,
Andrew

(Kay Kalra) #17

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is the Bible Sexist?

(Tim Ramey) #19

Amy, I’m not speaking Christianese but I do love God’s Word. I memorize it , read it through in various versions a couple of times each year and love looking up Greek and Hebrew words and where they are used in other places in Scripture. Simply put, I love studying the Word. However, as I am a part of Connect and other RZIM classes, I am awed by the knowledge that you and others possess. I live in northern Minnesota and will probably never attend Oxford! This is a mouthful, but Amy, what books or online classes might you suggest that I take or sign up for, considering that I am not able to be a full-time student? I am 67 and have been a Christian for many years but I so long to grasp the wisdom and understanding that you, who are so much younger than me, know and understand. I don’t wish to be a Pharisee but I do long to be equipped with the knowledge you possess so that I can love my Jesus even more and, in the process, put my arm around others as we walk together in the Truth. Some basics would be so appreciated. Thanks Amy. I have so appreciated your teachings, beginning with a heartfelt talk on worship that I heard many years ago. Thanks in advance.

(Rachel Shields) #20

Thank you for your answer Amy. Do you mind if I come back with a second comment? I have listened to your youtube talks and read “Why Trust the Bible” but neither addresses my specific query, that of why Paul grounds his “women must learn in silence and full submission” teaching deep within the creation narrative, arguing rationally from the fact that women were deceived first. Almost without exception, as far as I can tell, theological arguments give precedent to the pre-fall state of humankind as the ideal prototype for humanity. We refer to both sexes created in the image of God as the ideal gender blueprint- and rightly so(!) and yet in 1Tim 2, Paul grounds his argument for feminine silence as acceptable church practice not in patriarchy, not in culture, and not in Genesis 1:27 but in the woman deceived. I totally agree with all you have said re the place of women, but am asking this because in my discussions around this subject, it is this one fact that many people consider authoritative. I’m just wondering how you would answer them?

(Andrew Ingram) #21

Hi Amy,

I have been looking for materials about the historicity of the crucifixion. In particular I’m hoping to learn from non-Christian historians. Do you have any suggestions?

Andrew

(Carson Weitnauer) #22