Ask Daniel Rangel (May 7-11, 2018)

danielrangel

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

Daniel Rangel, an RZIM itinerant in the United States, is available to answer your questions about evangelism and apologetics! Daniel is fluent in both English and Spanish and has experience doing business across Latin America. He’s also a graduate of RZIM’s Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics! It’s a privilege for us to have access to his heart and his schedule for this week - please take full advantage of this opportunity to grow as a Christian evangelist!

Carson

Daniel Rangel’s bio

Daniel is an Itinerant Speaker with RZIM and focuses primarily speaking with universities and the corporate world. Daniel worked designing offshore drilling platforms as an engineer for various projects in the Gulf of Mexico and in the North Sea. He then became an international sales representative overseeing clientele across Latin America while living in Quito, Ecuador. He received his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University before graduating from the Oxford Center for Christian Apologetics. Daniel is fluent in both English and Spanish and has a passion for people to understand and believe the Christian faith.

Talk Titles (in English):

The Gospel and the Self
Conversational Apologetics
Understanding Our Times
Is There a Place for Faith at Work?
Is Christianity Exclusive?
Is True Love Possible?
We Long For Justice
What is Truth?
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
Sex and Relationships
Sexuality and Humanity
What is Success?
What is the Meaning of Life?
The Problem of Evil/Suffering and the Goodness of God
Why Trust the Bible?

Talk Titles (en Español):

Por qué murió Jesús?
Quién es Jesús?
Hay Conflicto Entre la Ciencia y el Cristianismo?
Hay Mas en la Vida?

(Jarvis Boccorh ) #2

Hi Daniel, thanks for your time.
There is a lady I am interested in having a serious relationship with but it’s complicated because she is a Jehovah’s witness. She has been struggling with their beliefs and I have introduced her to evangelical Christianity. It’s been very difficult because she is a “baptized witness”, her father is a coordinator so there is a lot of pressure on her to stay in the faith she doubts. Threats of disowning her from her family and so on. I really feel for her because it seems there is no freedom of choice to believe or disbelieve in their faith. I have been critically exposing their flaws on the concept of God, consciousness after death and their so many false beliefs but it’s very difficult due to her confusion and pressure from her family. She has been threatened that they will not accept any person other than a Jehovah’s witness for marriage. Do I Pursue a relationship with this lady who I really like or not due to difference in belief

(Helen Tan) #3

Hi Daniel, thank you for spending this time with us. I’ve been engaged in conversations on the topic of theistic evolution and need some direction in this respect. While I’m aware that there is a spectrum of possible definitions, I was wondering if you could share a bit on how you would respond to someone asking for an opinion on it. I would also appreciate if you could direct me to some resources for a better understanding of what it entails and the possible issues associated with it. Thank you.

(Daniel Rangel) #4

Hi Jarvis, thanks for your question. I can see that it’s a personal one. Thank you for opening up and asking it. I’ve been asked this question quite a few times before and I’ll share with you my thoughts concerning dating. The first rule of Christian dating is to love Christ with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. As Christians, Christ truly captures our heart, saves our soul, renews our mind to have his will, and we put all our strength into his mission and plan: to make disciples who loves Christ with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. He is our ultimate Treasure. Are we willing to give up anything for him? Someone once said to me that the great reward in Christian dating is ‘Christ-centered clarity’. You’re pursuing clarity if the other person truly treasures the same things as you do. Developing an intimacy with someone who you don’t have clarity with about the most fundamental areas of life will only make you more vulnerable, anxious, and fragile. As you know, the differences between JW beliefs and Christian beliefs are of primary importance. The differences aren’t dealing with secondary or tertiary issues like style of worship, or church polity, or adult/infant baptism, etc. These differences are creedal differences. They would call you to question your primary treasure. I’ll suggest to you that differences in primary beliefs are important enough to move away from pursuing a serious relationship. I hope that’s helpful. Again, thank you for asking the question!

(Jarvis Boccorh ) #5

Thanks Daniel for the response. My follow up would be that does it matter if she wants to leave the faith?, She was born into that faith so I can’t blame her. My struggle is are people like that condemned because they also strongly believe we evangelicals are also misled

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

Hi Daniel,

What advice do you have for us when we are in relationships with people who seem apathetic or disinterested to have any conversations about religion or the gospel?

(Daniel Rangel) #7

Hi Helen, great question! I personally tailor my answer depending on who I’m talking to. If I was talking to a non-believer I’d consider it a win if they even considered the possibility of even the most deistic view of theistic evolution. So, I’d gear my conversation in a way that helped them see the need for a God. If I’m talking to a believer my conversation usually consists of defining our terms. As you probably are aware, theistic evolution means different things to different Christians. One major resource that has benefited me is the book “Theistic Evolution: A Scientific, Philosophical, and Theological Critique”. It’s incredibly comprehensive and takes you through all the different views from several different perspectives. If you’re looking to become more well versed in the topic, I’d highly recommend that book.

(Daniel Rangel) #8

Hi Carson, this is one of the most pressing questions of our time! I think one of the most important tools of an apologist is friendship. True, sacrificial, patient, loving friendship opens doors for conversation with the apathetic or disinterested friend. I find myself always tailoring my life schedule for the purpose of spending more time with my non-Christian friends. I want them to know I truly value them as friends. I will fly back from a trip early just to have a dinner with them, even if it’s just one of them. I want to build an authentic trust with them so they will let me speak to them when God is brought up. Recently, at a dinner party, one of my non-Christian friends said to the group in a jovial manner, “Daniel is the only reason why I’d consider Christianity!” That meant a lot to me! Someone said that the most important survival characteristic of the future church will be ‘hospitality’. I found that almost off putting because it’s rare to talk about it in Christian circles. And yet, at the same time, it resonates deeply as I’ve seen countless friends come to faith through deep, healing, sacrificial, loving relationships. We should earn the right to be heard with our friends before we ask them to consider changing their worldview. As you learn about their worldview, whatever it might be, it gives you something to study and research so you can better bring up questions and provide clarity on your own. It’s a simple answer, I know, but I hope that’s helpful!

(Helen Tan) #9

Thanks, @Daniel_Rangel, for your response. I managed to read an excerpt from the book online and found that it is certainly informative and will guide me in my understanding of the difficulties underlying theistic evolution. There are some big names in the scientific and theological world involved in the writing of the book :)) and I’m looking forward to learning from them.

(Carson Weitnauer) #10