Ask David Bennett (November 19-23, 2018)

Hi friends, @Interested_In_Ask_RZIM,

I’m excited to announce that David Bennett, the author of the book A War of Loves, is available for a Q&A with the RZIM family! This book features a wide range of endorsements and the foreword is by N.T. Wright.

Given the heated and often polarizing discussions about sexuality in our culture, I am grateful for David’s deeply respectful and kind approach to all people. Please take advantage of this opportunity to ask your questions as we seek to grow in wisdom and maturity while navigating these challenging issues.

Carson

EDIT: Each Q&A with David Bennett is now in its own topic in order to make finding these resources easier.

David Bennett’s bio:

David Bennett is a Fellow at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics (OCCA) from Sydney, Australia. He studied both journalism and international relations in Australia and France respectively, before attending the OCCA (2013-14). He has recently completed his postgraduate degree in theology at the University of Oxford and a Masters in Analytical and Exegetical Theology with the Logos Institute at the University of St Andrews. He is currently reading for a DPhil (PhD) in theology at the University of Oxford.

David is a passionate Christian apologist who speaks and writes on a wide range of topics including sexuality and faith. He is frequently asked to appear and speak in a variety of settings including national radio and TV, most recently BBC 1’s The Big Questions. As a gay celibate Christian, he is seeking to be a fresh voice on the topics of love, desire, and sexuality in order to show how people can live in accordance with Christ’s teaching. David is the author of A War of Loves (Zondervan, 2018). It describes his own story from agnostic gay activist to follower of Jesus, in which he advocates for a positive moral vision of biblical sexuality and discipleship. His other interests include writing, cooking, and living in Christian community.

10 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: What differentiates a homosexual couple in a longterm monogamous relationship and a heterosexual couple in a longterm monogamous relationship?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is the Bible’s stance on sexuality relevant in today’s society?

3 posts were split to a new topic: What are your thoughts on Yarhouse’s “gay script” vs “the Christian script”?

Good day David, a few years ago South Africa ‘legalised’ same sex marriages. My question then, and still is today, why do they want to be married? Why not just live together as many hetrosexual couples do these days. Why marry?
Thank you
[As an aside the first question I ask any couple who come requesting marriage is, “Why? Why not just continue living together?”]

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: What does it looks like to embrace the Lordship of Jesus? What draws us to want God’s will more than our own?

I’m a day late, but I’ll just give it a try.

David, I have acquaintances that are also Gay or SSA Christians. Some of them have chosen to practice cohabitation. They claim that they can live-in together as long as they have proper boundaries, but their set boundaries would also seem off the norm. E.g. cuddling. I could sense that this is like playing with the fire. What can you say about this.

You’ve mentioned in your book that “homosexuality is not an evangelistic issue. It is a discipleship issue. So we must approach it that way.”(p.165) Recently a famous trans woman declared his faith in Jesus. He was being discipled and mentored at a mega-church and was put on pedestal, since he had lots of interviews and testimony sharing both from Christian and secular media. This week, from his FB post and news claims that he’s planning back to purse life as a transwoman, but still have faith in Christ. He’s now receiving lots of backlash both from the Christian and LGBTQ side. What would you suggest the church would do if we must not forget “the knowledge of God’s grace, the gift of the Spirit, and an understanding of God’s satisfying love”. I believe his Christian mentors are not yet giving up on him. But what would you recommend how Christians should approach or discuss this issue to the polarized body of Christ?

Is it proper this time, that I share your book to him as well?

Thanks