Ask Drs. Vince and Jo Vitale (April 16-20, 2018)

vincevitale
jovitale

(Jo Vitale) #25

Dear Lori,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. The short answer to your question is, yes! I am hoping to write a book on this topic. I’ve been gathering the material for some time, and I’ll be carving out some writing space over the summer to put together the book proposal and hopefully get the project moving forwards. I absolutely agree with you that the statistics around domestic and sexual abuse are absolutely horrifying, especially when you take a step back and remember that every statistic is not a number but a person deeply loved by God. I was reflecting recently on Jesus’ words in the house of Simon the Pharisee, as a woman kneels down and washes Jesus’ feet with her tears, dries them with her hair, and kisses them over and over again. Jesus looks at Simon, a religious leader of his day, and asks one penetrating question: ‘Do you see this woman?’ (Luke 7:44) I truly believe Jesus is asking us, HIs church, that same question today: ‘Do you see this woman?’ Do we the scale of the problem in our culture today, not in terms of statistics and numbers, but in terms of human beings made in the image of God? How thankful I am that we worship a God who truly “sees” (Genesis 16:13), and my prayer is that God would help us in turn to open our eyes. How grateful I am to know that this is burdening your heart also, and to know you are praying with me.

One book I find helpful if you’re looking to read more how God values women in the Bible is Richard M. Davidson’s Flame of Yahweh: Sexuality in the Old Testament. It’s a lengthy book, but it’s thorough and excellently researched.

In terms of something more pastoral which engages with the heart-breaking reality of the suffering that women and children around the world are enduring, might I recommend to you Naomi Zacharias’ (director of RZIM’s Wellspring International) book Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken?

God bless you,

Jo

(Lori Sevedge) #26

Thank you so much! That was such a beautiful response. That will remain with me and help me as I pray. “Do you see this woman?” What a wonderful picture of the mercy of God and the need of the church! This is why I look forward to your book! I know it will touch the hearts of many. I will be paying for you this summer as you begin writing. I will have my friends in prayer too. I am excited about what God is doing and I will preorder that book as soon as I hear about it!!

In the mean time I thank you for the recommendations on what to read. I am going to order them today! That is exactly what I was hoping for.

God bless you and Vince. I enjoyed the video response to Carson as well! What a fun way to interact and learn! Thanks again!

~Lori Sevedge

(Robert Fields) #27

Jo,

Thank you for your response and prayer. It means a lot. I look forward to hearing about this topic on Ask Away.

In the Book of Esther, correct me if I’m wrong, but there is actually no mention of “God” in any way as the One who worked out the circumstances. However, it is strongly implied. I see that in my life. I choose to give God the credit for all that occurs in my life but nothing overt or explicit. How would my witness be if my love for others was implicitly made know rather than explicitly? That’s the challenge I find myself in.

Thanks again and God Bless!
Robert

(Carson Weitnauer) #28