Ask Kasey Leander (March 23-27, 2020)

Happy Saturday, @Interested_In_Ask_RZIM friends!

This week we are excited to welcome back OCCA fellow @Kasey_Leander into the Q&A hot seat. :fire:

Prior to his time at the OCCA, Kasey earned a degree in history and PPE (politics, philosophy, and economics) from Taylor University. He has worked briefly in politics, serving as an intern in the US Senate in Washington, DC. While living in Boston, he spoke for events at universities including MIT, Harvard, Brown, Yale, Boston University, and Boston College Law.

As an OCCA fellow, Kasey speaks widely on the philosophical underpinnings of popular culture, the need for God in moral reasoning, and the historical credibility of the Christian message. Kasey originally hails from Colorado Springs, Colorado, and harbors a love of mountains, food trucks, and spectacular views.

Reply to below to ask your question of him! In the meantime, check out some of his writing and speaking :point_down:

4 Likes

Hello there Mr. Leander!

I read that you earned a degree in history, I am currently taking up a history degree in our university here in the Philippines and interested how history can fit in apologetics and theology in the philosophical context.

I have three questions sir,

Many polytheistic religions in ancient history or antiquity have been very dominant and flourishing. Was there a point in history when all human beings were monotheistic and later branched into polytheism? If there are any sources on that, may I ask for the sources as well? hehe

What are the historical truth tests that a Christian can use in determining the truthfulness and authenticity of scriptures? Is it the traditional historical methodology, like external and internal criticisms, or were there additional criteria or standards added on that method?

Lastly, haha, what is the main thesis of Immanuel Kant in determining metaphysical knowledge and what was his conclusion there? Can his philosophy fit into the Christian worldview?

Oh sorry for these multiple questions sir I am really interested in your answers. Thank you very much for the future response. Looking forward… Maraming Salamat Po! (English: That you very much sir!)

2 Likes

Hello, Kasey:

I’ve been looking forward to the opportunity to ask someone with some of your background these couple of questions. (They are tightly related, so hopefully not too complicated to answer.)

1- Do you see dominion theology / dominionism as a problem within the church? If so, how much of a problem does it pose to the church and to its mission?

2- If so, can you comment on any differences, distinctions, or degrees of problems between dominionism in the U.S. versus outside the U.S.?

3- If it is a serious problem, is it being addressed adequately by church leadership, broadly speaking?

4- If it is not being addressed adequately, how should church leadership proceed in dealing with it? What about lay members of the church?

I ask these questions because I believe this IS a serious problem in the church, and this comes from probably 40 years or so of observing the effects of this false doctrine (I’m calling it that) in the church. I won’t detail any of my own opinions or observations, just looking for a fresh perspective. Most Christians I talk to seem to have little to no clue about this issue.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this…

Peace,

Steve

2 Likes

Hey Karl!

Apologies for the delay! Recorded you a video response, below. It’s lengthy (sorry!!) but then again, I’ve never heard a discussion on Kantian Metaphysics that WASN’T super lengthy :sweat_smile:

But in all seriousness, loved these questions and hope this helps!

As promised, here’s a bunch of links for further research:

Monotheism/Polythesim
Rodney Stark’s book “One True God.” https://www.amazon.com/One-True-God-Historical-Consequences/dp/0691115001

Harvard Divinity School article of development of monotheism: https://rlp.hds.harvard.edu/religions/judaism/god-biblical-monotheism

Biblical Criticism
Why trust the Bible? Amy Orr-Ewing (Book)(super awesome lecture by Dr. AOE)

The Historical Reliability of the Gospels Craig L Blomberg (his book) (a super awesome lecture by Dr. Blomberg)

The Resurrection of the Son of God - NT Wright (NT Wright’s Book)

Also, I have to mention Justin Brierly’s Podcast “Unbelievable.” It’s my secret weapon on staying up to date with stuff as an apologist. He has episodes featuring leading Bible scholars like Craig Evans, Peter J. Williams etc. debating skeptics like Bart Ehrman. 10/10 would recommend! check it out

Kantian Metaphysics

If you’re feeling nerdy, the Stanford Encyclopedia is an excellent peer-reviewed encyclopedia of philosophy. A great resource to crash-course philosophy to your heart’s content! https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant/

God bless!

7 Likes

OH! Thank you very much Mr. Leander. It is an honour! I am doing fine brother still healthy haha. Lets continue to pray for each others’ safety haha. Wow incredible answers brother haha I love your academic path by God’s grace haha. Praise God! Stay strong brother and pls stay safe from this virus haha. Soli deo gloria!

2 Likes

Hey Steve!

Really appreciate this question. Video response below- let me know what you think!

5 Likes

Hi there Kasey!

First of all, I just want to let you know how much of an encouragement it is to me that there are millennials out there who not only follow Jesus, but who are also leading voices in the world of apologetics and who seek to engage the culture with thoughtful dialogue (that was a majorly run-on sentence, which I am now making longer by adding this parenthesis :D). I wish I knew you were speaking down in Boston when you did. As we say in New England: wicked cool.

As a high school English teacher in New Hampshire (shout-out to my run-on sentence), my questions tend to lend themselves more to education and the region I live in, yet I think the themes found within them can apply to several contexts:

1. I co-teach several classes with Social Studies teachers, and I notice a trend/pressure to discredit any “religious” movements/persons/themes from history and literature (it’s subtle but most definitely there). I often feel as though religion is a taboo subject, yet the fabric of history and literature (including movies, songs, and tv for that matter) is richly interwoven with religious themes (and when it comes to Western literature and history, Christianity in particular). What are ways I (and anyone in education or any environment that values intellectualism) can re-knit the sacred/secular divide, so-to-speak, and how do I combat the idea that anything religious is anti-intellectual? I find there aren’t too many resources for Christian educators in the sphere of public education (whether K-12 or collegiate), so if you know of any good ones I’d love to hear them!

2. As someone living in the greater Boston area, which as you probably know is in many ways post-Christian, did you find there are more effective ways to evangelize to people who value the scientific over the religious, the physical over the spiritual, and who have very little material needs?

3. Did you ever hike in the White Mountains of NH, and if so, what was your favorite hike (mine is for sure the Franconia Ridge Loop)? If this quarantine ever ends and I’m in CO, are there any good hikes you would recommend? :smiley:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi Rachel!

Loved these questions. Made a video response below!

Resources:
Christianity on Trial- Vincent Carroll, David Shiflett https://www.amazon.com/Christianity-Trial-Arguments-Against-Anti-Religious/dp/1893554155/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Christianity+on+trial&qid=1585340894&s=audible&sr=1-3-catcorr

Last Call for Liberty - Os Guinness https://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Liberty-Americas-Greatest/dp/B07HP96YZ8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=last+call+for+liberty&qid=1585340876&s=books&sr=1-2

Dominion: the Making of the Western by Tom Holland Mind https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Making-Western-Tom-Holland/dp/1408706962

And finally, the most important resource of all: a picture of the Maroon Bells in Colorado (you gotta go visit!!!)

2 Likes