Ask Lisa Fields (April 29-May 3, 2019)

lisafields
(Kathleen) #1

Hello, friends! (@Interested_In_Ask_RZIM, @interested_in_Ask_Away)
I am so excited to announce that this coming week Lisa Fields will be joining us in the hot seat. Lisa is the founder and President of the Jude 3 Project, a Christian apologetics organization based in Jacksonville, FL, which is dedicated to helping the Black Christian community know what they believe and why.

If you haven’t had the chance to listen to her conversation with @Vince_Vitale and @Jo_Vitale on the Ask Away podcast, I highly recommend it!

Lisa’s Bio

Lisa Fields, one of the world’s most sought-after female apologist, combines her passion for biblical literacy with her heart for sharing God’s love to all those she meets. During college at the University of North Florida, she took a New Testament course that shifted the trajectory of her life. As a pastor’s kid, she was familiar with church, the Christian faith, and the importance of reading the Bible. She was also planning a career as a stockbroker in New York City. On the first day of her New Testament class, the professor declared, “I’m going to change everything you thought you knew about Jesus.” Throughout the course, her professor focused on biblical contradictions and textual criticism. In every sense of the matter, Lisa’s faith was challenged – she was forced to rethink what she believed and decide if she would keep believing or abandon her faith.

After college, she continued to wrestle with biblical concepts and her faith while working in the financial services industry. Each day she wrestled with God’s call on her life to further her education to better defend the faith. She pursued her Master of Divinity from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. Her time in seminary propelled her into her calling as an apologist.

Lisa speaks regularly at evangelism, apologetic, and biblical literacy events at various universities and churches across the country as well as co-hosts a secular podcast for young professionals called Brunch Culture.

10 Likes
(Bill Brander) #2

Good day Lisa, I jumped over to the Jude3 project and see a heading that said, “Is Christianity the White Man’s Religion?” My question is, is it?
Thanks
Bill

3 Likes
(Lisa Fields) #4

Hey Bill. Great question. Christianity is definitely not a white man’s religion. Many have assumed that it is because of the way the Bible was used as a tool of oppression by slave holders during slavery in America.

One helpful way to combat this false narrative is to highlight that many early church fathers like Athanasius and Augustine were African.

5 Likes
African Christians
(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi Lisa,

I’m excited for this opportunity to engage with you! It is always nice seeing you in person too. :slight_smile:

There is a tremendous amount of critique of the church right now - and often for good reason. I wanted to ask you - what are some strengths you see in the church and how can we best build on those strengths? What encourages you? Where do we need to double-down on our priorities?

1 Like
(Rebecca Fohner) #6

Hi Lisa,

I did listen to your podcast on Ask Away, and I agree that the church has not done a good job of dealing with race and ethnicity. I also agree that “color blindness” based on Colossians 3:11 doesn’t really solve the problem. Would a better picture of treating people in love be that of James 2:1-4?

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Thus, we are not to show favoritism. Therefore, as the church (and particularly from a white perspective,) are we to conclude that we are to see each person as they are, and reach out showing no partiality based on those aspects (social status, wealth, race, ethnicity, culture, ect) while still being sensitive to the aspects that exist, understanding that those aspects are part of who a person is? Is this a good way of approaching race and ethnicity; and if I am off the mark, what would be a better way?

2 Likes
(Lisa Fields) #7

Hey Carson,

I think the church does community engagement well. The way the church rallies in times of crisis encourages me. I’m also encouraged by cross denominational partnerships that are happening in cities like Charlotte to help create affordable housing.

I think we should double down on church collaborations. I think it helps demonstrate unity and it a great witness to the world.

5 Likes
(Lisa Fields) #8

Hey Rebecca,

Thank you for your question. I think James 2:1-4 is exactly how we should interact with one another. I think you are spot on.

2 Likes
(Josh M) #9

Hi Lisa, given the interaction with your professor mentioned in your bio, I seemed to have joined at the right time to ask you about this. This chart of Bible contradictions came up at work.

At first, it seems overwhelming, but you start looking at them and it’s more a collection of issues people have with the Bible, misunderstandings, taking things out of context mixed with putting different meanings into words and applying emotion instead of reason.

My questions are, how can you break down this wall of ‘contradictions’ to help people 1) reason for themselves and 2) provide context for difficult to understand passages to offer better understanding?

2 Likes
(Moses) #10

Hello Lisa, glad to have you here.

Will you describe some of your struggles you went through as you encountered the challenge of connecting head and heart?

What was the vantage point or thought that drove you to grip on Jesus :slight_smile:

Appreciate your time!

1 Like
(Lisa Fields) #11

Hey Moses. Thank you for the question. I think the greatest struggle I had early on was making sure I was processing what I was learning through prayer. I have learned that prayer helps bridge the head and the heart. Also, another aid has been processing what I’m learning with mentors.

4 Likes
(Lisa Fields) #12

Hey Yoshi. Thank you for the question. You are right at first glance the chart can seem overwhelming. I think when interacting you have to first discern whether the person is open to understanding scripture or you will just go back and forth with no fruit.

If they are sincere, I would say recommend a book to them by Gordon Fee called How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth. This will help them have a basic framework for how to interpret scripture. Then ask them what are the most challenging passages for them and then walk through those passages together with the framework Fee provides. Also, I would recommend a book by Gleason Archer called The Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties. It has been extremely helpful for me when dealing with passages that seem like contradictions.

4 Likes
(Josh M) #13

Thank you, Lisa.

2 Likes
(Rebecca Fohner) #14

Thank you. I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time.

1 Like
(Lisa Fields) #15

You’re welcome, Yoshi.

(Lisa Fields) #16

You’re welcome, Rebecca!

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #17

Hi Lisa,

Would you share about your work in biblical literacy? I’m burdened for this need in the church.

What resources would you recommend for building an overall understanding of the Bible? I’m looking for Bible overview materials that are more story based rather than being dry curriculum.

Also, what recommendations to you have for church leaders and teachers who realize that the members of the church don’t know basic Bible stories?

2 Likes
(Kathleen) closed #18

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.