Ask Margaret Manning Shull (July 29-August 2, 2019)

Hi friends,

I know you will enjoy learning from Margaret this week! Her master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling has equipped her to serve many people who are going through a difficult time - and this passion reflects her compassionate heart as well.

You are invited to bring the real questions of your mind and heart to the table this week. I look forward to the conversation!

EDIT: Each Q&A with Manning Shull is now in its own topic in order to make finding these resources easier.

Margaret’s RZIM biography:

Margaret Manning Shull joined the RZIM Speaking and Writing Team in 2007 after having served as a pastor for over seven years. She earned her bachelor’s degree in psychology from Agnes Scott College before going on to earn her master of divinity from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Margaret has just completed her master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling from Western Washington University.

Passionate about communicating the gospel in ways that engage both heart and mind, Margaret’s pastoral ministry grounds her speaking and writing in a relational and practical style. Margaret seeks to address the critical intersections between the Christian faith and lived experience in order to engage Christians and non-Christians in conversations that count.

In her free time, Margaret enjoys travel, gardening, hiking, cycling, running, and taking care of her menagerie of pets. She currently lives in Bellingham, Washington, with her husband, David.

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is your view on bias, how deep does it go, and what benefit is there to being biased?

A post was merged into an existing topic: How can we introduce conversational apologetics into the church? Also, is there room to use apologetics during a funeral service?

4 posts were split to a new topic: How can we introduce conversational apologetics into the church? Also, is there room to use apologetics during a funeral service?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can you comment on the subject of “hyergrace?”

3 posts were split to a new topic: How can I best move forward after being hurt by a church?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Should Christians accept the theory of evolution as fact?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is baptism essential for salvation?

3 posts were split to a new topic: What is the real purpose and value of feelings and emotions?

Hi Margret,
I enjoy your well researched and compassionately presented articles with RZIM.
Reading biography of Dwight Eisenhower and near the end of life statements was “I want to go. God take me.” Does God honor such desires?
Thanks
Dave

1 Like

Hi @Margaret_Manning,

I’m glad I caught this window before it closed, I’ve been wanting to ask you this question for a few years. Don’t hold your breath, it’s nothing novel. I heard you mention once at an RZIM conference that you get asked a lot about women in ministry, and that you could “send some resources” on the topic.

RZIM Connect is full of threads on this, but I’m specifically interested in your perspective on the matter. While I value womens’ gifts highly, I find it difficult to excuse, or file away Paul’s instruction in 1 Tim 2:12 as merely “cultural,” given the context of “authority” in which he frames his argument.

For me, I suspect this will remain a gray area, though I would like to hear your thoughts. And irrespective of this question, thank you very much for your long service and dedication in ministry.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.