Ask Nathan Betts (June 29-July 3, 2020)

Greetings @Interested_In_Ask_RZIM fam!
This week, the Q&A forum is back with North American itinerant speaker, @Nathan_Betts!

Nathan speaks frequently across the US and Canada. His focus areas include the interface of faith and culture, questions on suffering and the existence of God, digital technology and belief, and youth apologetics. His writing has been featured in The Seattle Times and Christianity Today. Nathan is passionate about exploring the ways in which the Christian faith helps us make sense of the questions of human value and meaning amidst the complexity of everyday life.

Nathan completed his undergraduate degree at Tyndale University and his MA in Bible and ministry at King’s College, University of London. He is also a graduate of the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and leads RZIM’s North America youth initiative. He is an avid percussionist and a keen baseball fan. Nathan and his wife, Brittany, live near Seattle, Washington, with their young children.

As always, respond below with your question! :arrow_down:

11 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: “Where do you see the current societal movement which seems to be seeking fullness of life,the satisfying of injustices, through the destruction of physical historical symbols, statues, buildings so on and so forth going?

3 posts were split to a new topic: How Can We Use Apologetics with Children?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Where are the current societal movement which seems to be seeking fullness of life,the satisfying of injustices, through the destruction of physical historical symbols, statues, buildings so on and so forth going?

Nathan, I am having trouble with how a good God can allow suffering. I understand good vs evil and know that God is the moral law giver. I am a Christian but have a friend who is really struggling with his faith and he is ready to renounce his faith because of the unending chain of negative events affecting his health, his employment, and his marriage. He can’t see the Cross and Christ’s sacrifice for all because he is in so much pain. Please help me understand how to discuss with him why all of these negative circumstances are happening to him when “God is good all the time and all the time God is good,” as they say. I have listened to countless sermons and talks by Ravi on this topic but am still struggling with how to answer my friend. Thank you.

Dear Nathan,

Thanks for answering some great question.

Where is your faith? (Was the question asked by Jesus to His disciples, Luke 8:25)

Most of the Church are not open for service, Even after restriction is lifted by the govt;
It is true that people are living in fear because of the coronavirus.
If church are kept closed, it is because of the fear of virus.
If it is because of the fear of virus,
Will Jesus ask the same question to us? “Where is your faith?”

Hello, Nathan. Thank you so much for everything you do in ministry and for making yourself available here. As I seek to wade through and sort the urgent issues we have going on today in order to better be able to respond to those around me, I find everything becoming increasingly heavy to the point that it sends my anxiety levels up. It made me think of the speakers and ministers such as yourself and the RZIM speakers, and I am wondering if it ever feels heavy to you and how you deal with that. How do you build up endurance in all this to stay in conversations and engage in the ministry that you do and yet not allow it to tax your emotions and mental resources too heavily? I spend time with the Lord, but having three children, one at the age of 22 months, it is difficult to get the quiet time with the Lord I feel I need to be able to keep this kind of continuous engagement going between the digital world (Connect and even careful conversations on Facebook) to face-to-face conversations.

Thank you so much for the investment of your time and energy both here and in your ministry elsewhere!

Lindsay Brandt

This topic was automatically closed after 9 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.