Ask Sanj Kalra (April 15-19, 2019)

sanjkalra

(Kathleen) #1

Hello friends! (@Interested_In_Ask_RZIM, @interested_in_business)

This next week, we are excited to have RZIM speaker Sanj Kalra answering our questions! Sanj is a very genuine and authentic communicator of how God has been at work in his life. I know you will appreciate his caring heart and insightful answers.

Sanj Kalra’s bio:
Sanj was born in New Delhi, India, and comes from a Hindu background. His family immigrated to Ottawa, Canada, where he grew up through high school. He was then awarded a tennis scholarship at the University of Akron, Ohio, where he was graduated with a degree in Business Management. He has worked in the medical device sales industry for over twenty years.

Despite enjoying unprecedented personal success, Sanj eventually went spinning out of control until, in a state of deep crisis, he had a dramatic encounter with Jesus Christ in June of 2010. Until that point, pleasure and indulgence were all he lived for. The transformation that Jesus brought to him is one of the most remarkable testimonies of our time. He joined the RZIM team in 2015 and now shares his story and messages throughout the globe. The impact he has is particularly felt among the young and the business world. He has spoken at churches and conferences where the response has always been heartwarming.

As part of the RZIM team, Sanj’s role also includes being the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships at RZIM. He is married to Kay and they are blessed with two daughters.

Sanj’s focus is on meaning and purpose and how Jesus Christ can give us new desires. Subjects that he addresses include:

• Personal Testimony of Transformation
  • How Influence Can Lead to Forgiveness and Reconciliation
  • My Grace Is Sufficient
  • Are You an Honest or a Dishonest Seeker?

(Lakshmi Mehta) #2

Greetings Sanj!

I just finished listening to your beautiful testimony online and am amazed at the ripple effect of the work of God in your family in bringing about restoration of relationships and salvation to so many family members. Unlike your situation, my family decided to get even more deeper into the Hindu religion after I turned to Christ. They feel convinced that the forgiveness in Christianity is not any better than the forgiveness they practice as Hindus. In practice, I do see them offer forgiveness, acknowledge that forgiveness has a divine source and they also try to forgive the unrepentant as they are aware of the negative emotional impact of unforgiveness. Forgiveness for Christians is based on the justice fulfilled on the Cross and the forgiveness we have received in Christ. For them, it is based on the belief that Krishna cancels karma for the repentant and gives forgiveness. They say the whole purpose of God’s wrath or justice must be to bring people to repentance and that a loving God will accept a repentant heart even if he or she didn’t know about Jesus. How can I set apart forgiveness offered in Christ for my family? Can non-Christians forgive the same way as Christians in practice, just by believing that God is the source of forgiveness without understanding the Cross? Appreciate your thoughts on this. Much thanks!

(Moses) #3

Dear Sanj, thank you for being here.

Were you seriously practicing Hindu until the time you accepted Jesus. (Like studying the teachings of the religion and everything?)?. I am asking this as I know many who do not practice Hinduism quiet seriously except for keeping some outward rituals.

Would you describe in your own words, how was it like for you to shift from a Hindu worldview to the Christian worldview and what were some of the challenges you went through as you embraced the Christian faith?

What are some advice that you would give for Christians to reach Hindus in India?

Thank you

(Albin Siby) #5

Hello sir.
I’m Albin from India.:slightly_smiling_face:

I heard your testimony, and it was amazing how the Lord saved you and your household through you (Acts 16:34).
I too have been seeking the Lord for my Salvation and whenever I hear any testimony, I long to have one of my own.

I’ve been struggling with a lot of Unbelief
that God is not willing and neither is going to Save me, especially when I look around at the fact of so many people are lost and troubling scriptures like-
Luke 13:24 “Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able”

Matthew 7:13 "“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it”

And every day, I struggle with Unbelief. This verse is perfectly fitting in my case:
Hebrews 3:12
“Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.”

And when verses like Jam 1:6 — Jam 1:8, come to my mind, it feels even more heavy.

God has pointed to me that I must submit to Him, but it seems impossible, to do on my own without God’s Grace, cuz ultimately, it’s He who does.
I do struggle with different kinds of distractions at times, in seeking the Lord, Luke 10:41, John 5:44, etc.

Could you advise how could I overcome my Unbelief and put my Trust in the Lord.

Thanks.

( KIRAN KUMAR) #6

Hi Sanj

I am also from India , I am interested in civil services who serves for the country.
Could you please give me advice in this regard.
As you are also from India , you know how the system works here, is it right to work as a part of government here being a Christian.
And is it possible to live upto the Christian standards, or the demands of Christ being a civil servant in India.
When I prayed for it I have seen some positive results regarding choosing civil services from God but I am not sure fully.
Please help me in this

Thanks & Regards
Kiran Kumar

(Sanj Kalra) #7

Hi Lakshmi,

Thank you for writing and sharing with me some of your situation with your family. I know family is very difficult to reach and many times it goes in the direction of them moving away from what you believe. I know you know that our own LORD was rejected by many.

To answer your some your questions I think that you are spot on that you have to point to the Cross first.

My understanding is that Krishna is only verbally saying that you have to repent and then you receive forgiveness? Plus, that you must continue to do good deeds in order to receive favor in God. Also I have heard that regular chanting helps with forgiveness? It can be very confusing and unclear.

I think the keyword in Christianity is sacrifice. There is no sacrifice in any other worldview. Jesus provides this sacrifice once and for all for everybody. For me it is a legal system. All of mankind is guilty and that somebody innocent and without sin has to take place and pay the penalty in order to make the guilty innocent. Anyone can die for someone else but the key is can the person raise himself from the dead to prove that they are God. The resurrection is central message! Again, somebody must die the death that you deserve. Substitutionary atonement.

“For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:21‬ ‭ESV‬‬

We cannot save ourselves.

I believe the only way you can forgive is when you have been forgiven by God. Which gives you the ability to forgive others. Human beings cannot forget when it comes to forgiving but when they see a repented person it helps them forget but forgiveness can only come when you experience forgiveness from God yourself. And we see that forgiveness on the cross with Jesus’s death and resurrection. Remember this is the only thing that God excepts is our belief and faith in the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.

I would recommend to see if some of your family members would open to reading The Gospel of John? And then ask questions about forgiveness. Whenever I have somebody read John I ask them after so who is this Jesus?

Then I would ask the question the C. S. Lewis asks:

“That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice”

In summary try and explain the Christ’s sacrifice and resurrection. HIS motivation is in Romans 5. LOVE.

I hope this makes senses? I’ll praying for you and your family Lakshmi.

Saved by Grace,

Sanj

(Lakshmi Mehta) #8

@Sanj_Kalra, Thank you so much for your time in answering my question. I like what you alluded to that even though they speak of forgiveness, it still seems to be based on what man does. They do speak of the soul’s destiny being dependent on the soul’s thoughts at the time of death. Even if they forgive, it is either conditional on repentance or in the case of the unrepentant, accompanied by a memory of debt that they paid themselves in their act of forgiveness. In contrast, we can point out that in Christ, we are forgiven for our sins once for all and sealed for redemption by God’s grace as Jesus fully paid what man couldn’t pay. One verse I happened to read today that seems to fit very well to follow up the CS Lewis quote given their understanding of Karma, is Heb 1:3 How shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation that was announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard Him.

I have given my family the Bible in the Indian language and hoping one day they will read it. Thank you for praying for them. It has been helpful to think through your response.

(Kathleen) split this topic #9

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ask Jose Philip (April 22-26, 2019)

(Sanj Kalra) #10

Hi Albin,

Nice to meet you and thanks for asking the question.

It’s sounds like you know God‘s Word and have been reading it but have been focusing on the parts where you might have unbelief. We know that in Mark 9:24 a man struggles with his faith by saying this: Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” Mark 9:24 (ESV). My prayer is for you countine to appeal to Jesus to create in your heart to believe more firmly.

I think most believers struggle with this and that’s why I love our ministry in that we all have questions even the believer. Our tagline is “Helping the Thinker Believe and Helping the Believer Think”. One of my favorite verses is Matthew 7:13 entering the narrow gate. To me that means that you pay the price now and receive the reward later. So Jesus is saying that it’s hard following Him and that you’re going to have to make tough decisions but He wants you to trust Him. He never said it would be easy. But you will have joy and peace because you know that the reward is to be with Him in the end.

Albin, my prayer is that you put your full trust and commitment in Jesus.

Saved by Grace,

Sanj

(Sanj Kalra) #11

Hi Krin,

Thanks for your question.

It sounds like you might know the answer to your own question. I believe where ever God places you on a daily basis you will have influence. You can have an impact in civil service/ government as Christian. I strongly believe that your behavior as person, will mirror your identity. Thus, you have influence!

Here’s what Ravi wrote to me recently about influence:

Sanj, the word itself comes from medieval Latin- to flow in, a pouring in, a stream. It has the concept of helping shape that one with whom you have contact. That’s why it ought not to be seen as just a happening, rather an impact over time and contact. There’s a difference between influencing a decision and shaping a person. A lasting influence, flows into the character of a person to create a mindset from which decisions are made. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus, says Paul. What the brain is to the body, the mind is to the soul. A true influence helps shape the soul.”

Here’s a great quote from Tim Keller’s book on Christians in the marketplace: “faithful work indeed means some kind of public identification with Jesus in such a way that a coworker might want to know more about Him.” Tim Keller , Every Good Endeavor

I believe the Christian shines through adversity.

Saved by Grace,

Sanj

(Sanj Kalra) #14

Hi Moses,

Thank you for your question and first of all I was not a practicing Hindu but I did believe in karma along with reincarnation in that I would be judged after this life.

My shift to Christianity was that I know longer lived in fear and that I had security now. Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1 It is the peace of Christ that changed everything for me!

I guess the big difference from my old worldview and Christianity would be that I “hoped”I would have eternity but when I met Christ I was “certain” that I had it.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

John 10:27-28 ESV

Personally some of the challenges that I went through was the feeling of guilt and remembering my past but I’m able to remind myself that, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1 ESV .

My advice for Christians to Hindus is to read about Hinduism but more importantly to find out more about the person that you’re actually speaking to you face-to-face. Ask about their personal life and their personal journey and what do they actually believe? Again here at RZIM Ravi has taught us to ask the four big questions: origin, meaning, morality and destiny.

I hope this helps.

Saved by Grace,

Sanj

(Carson Weitnauer) closed #15