Ask Simon Edwards...and Clare Williams! (December 2-6, 2019)

Hello!

We have a 2-for-1 Christmas special this week in the Ask RZIM hot seat as both Simon Edwards and Clare Williams will be available to answer your questions about faith and life. :partying_face: Simon will be on most of the week, and then Clare will join at the end of the week. What an opportunity to from these two folks and their diverse backgrounds and experiences!

EDIT: Each Q&A with Simon Edwards and Clare Williams is now in its own topic in order to make finding these resources easier.

Simon Edwards is the UK Director for RZIM Zacharias Trust and Assistant Chaplain of the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics (OCCA). He holds separate degrees in law and economics from the University of Queensland, Australia, as well as graduate diplomas in legal studies and education. Simon also has a postgraduate diploma in theology from the University of Oxford and is currently studying for a master in divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He brings with him a diverse range of Christian ministry, legal, government, and teaching experience. Prior to joining RZIM, Simon lived and worked in Australia as a lawyer, specializing in private practice in commercial law and in government practice in constitutional law. He also worked for two years in a secondary school as a religious education teacher.

Simon is a regular speaker in many different settings, including at evangelistic and apologetic training events in universities, schools, churches, and workplaces both in the UK and abroad. He has also been invited to speak on a number of BBC Radio programs regarding the evidence for the Christian faith, particularly from his perspective as a lawyer. Simon’s areas of interest include moral apologetics, human dignity, faith and reason, the nature of truth, evidence for the resurrection, suffering, and ethics. Simon is married to Natasha, who is part of the leadership team at Latimer Minster, a missional Church of England church situated between London and Oxford. Simon and Natasha live in High Wycombe with their two young children, Grace and Jonathan.

Clare Williams is an OCCA Fellow, following her time as a student at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics. She has a Master’s degree in Leadership from the Institute of Education and is currently pursuing a second one at Birkbeck University of London in Culture, Diaspora and Ethnicity. Clare also holds a BA in English Literature from the University of Oxford and has recently completed work there for a Certificate in Theological Studies. After her undergraduate studies, she worked as an English teacher and leader in South East London secondary schools for ten years. Clare is passionate about exploring questions concerning race, identity and truth in urban settings and has launched an apologetics ministry focused upon the black community and the black majority church (www.realquestions.co.uk). She enjoys singing gospel music, going to the theatre and cooking for family and friends.

5 Likes

Hi Simon, Clare,

Welcome to the forum! I really appreciate your willingness to serve the RZIM community in this way.

@Simon_Edwards, one question I have for you is how and when a Christian should distinguish between their personal responsibility to love their neighbor and their official responsibilities. For instance, as a private citizen, I should probably not take up arms and attempt vigilante justice. But if I was a police officer, I might need to commit an act of violence against a criminal to deter their harmful actions. Or as an individual, I might forgive someone their loan. But if I served as a bank compliance officer, I might file a lawsuit to collect on a debt. In advance, I appreciate your guidance on how Christians can navigate these different roles with wisdom and faithfulness.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is your take on critical theory in the American Church?

2 posts were split to a new topic: How would you respond to someone who says you can’t legislate morality?

3 posts were split to a new topic: What would be your response to be to someone who claims that it is egotistic to claim there is only one truth?

@Simon_Edwards @ClareW can you help me to find any evidence, particularly academic in nature that shows a correlation between the Christian faith and a change in behaviour? This is for a project I am working on with @CarsonWeitnauer and @Joshua_Hansen
Thank you for your time.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.