Assisted suicide?

Hello; I’m Robert.
I need some info to help me understand my role as a christian while my Uncle was assisted in his death in the next room. He had been suffering from severe pain due to an aggressive cancer and had chosen today to end his life.

Was being there condoning this decision?
Was it right to be there for the family while they were grieving?
I have other chriastians saying I was wrong to be there, Is this true?
I understand that our lives and value are given us by God, Is assisted suicide something unforgivable?
How forceful should I have been with my Faith?

Any insight would be helpful

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Robert,

I’m so sorry that you’re going through the pain of having witnessed your uncles assisted suicide. Understandably that raises a lot of questions and so firstly I want to reassure you that it’s right and good to ask these questions. I really pray that God will bring comfort to you and your other family members as you process what’s happened.

I haven’t got an answer for everything you’ve asked, hopefully some others can help out. However, what struck me as I read your questions is that by being present in the next room, you were demonstrating God’s love to your Uncle and other family members. It’s not about whether you were condoning it or not. What did your uncle need most at his last moments? To know he was loved. I think you’ve shown that in your presence there. Jesus was present in the grittiest moments, ones that others challenged him on. There was always controversy about where he went, who he spoke to or ate with. Often, his best response was to just love people and pray to his Father in heaven.

As a Christian, you’re now able to pray for the rest of the family, invite the Holy Spirit’s presence to minister to them and bring healing to their and your grieving hearts. I think that by remaining with them, you’re in the best place to demonstrate God’s heart to them, rather than showing disapproval by your absence.

I just want to leave You with Psalm 73:26. I will be praying.

Alison

1 Like

Hello Robert,
My heart goes out to you. You exhibit a willingness to confront troubling questions that others ignore, questions that require certain fortitude to gain understanding.

Yes, love is the key component as stated by Alison previously, being the mortar that binds hearts. You showed love for your uncle by your presence, witnessed by others in that room.

Doctor Assisted Suicide is an action that I’ve contended with in Hospice and various bereavement groups, sometimes causing guilt while other times anger. One common element that always appears, that being love, cannot be ignored. Your love cannot be misread, it resonates, felt by those ministering to your uncle.

Two verses, well three actually, that might help:
Hebrews 1:14 (NASB) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?

1 Thes. 4:16-18 (NASB) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 (NASB) 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.

May you be comforted through your ordeal and find peace as you journey through grief.

– H Jerry

Hello Robert, prayers and strength for all at this trying time, so sad for your loss, you must have loved your Uncle very much. My one responce is “LIMITLESS” Gods love, grace, mercy, and yours is inspiring and encouraging and a bold statement of who you are in Christ. May His strength be made perfect in weakness.
Love
Mike