Barriers to faith

(Joe Gregory) #1

This question is geared more towards former non-Christians who were very resistant towards the Gospel.

What would you say was your biggest barrier(s) in coming to Christ?

I ask because I’ve recently heard some imply that the apologetics approach would not have worked on them at the time no matter how good the argument was. Some have said they were more motivated by their own arrogance and what their family/friends would have thought. I even heard a seminary professor who came to Christ in college say that prior to salvation, the only time he cared about the poor and suffering children of the world was when he was debating Christians.

Just curious as to others experience.

Thanks.

(Nic Shoffner) #2

I don’t fit into that category but I will say that it makes perfect sense Apologetics won’t convince everyone of the truth of Christianity. In fact, I’m willing to bet that a relatively small percentage of professing Christians have been convinced due to Apologetics. Paul placed an equal or greater amount of importance on loving others than for argument.

I love Apologetics and I believe it is absolutely a necessary discipline for the Church to develop and use when appropriate but, after I became a Christian, it was how I loved my wife that convinced her.

(Claire N Streb) #3

@jobobear Joe, It is individual. Apologetics would help some. Up until I was 10 years old, I loved Jesus with all my heart and thought of Him as my Shepherd and friend. The Church turned me away. Many people with legalistic, authoritarian, and abusive behaviors helped my filthy heart to turn away from God. If someone at that time had used apologetics for kids with me, they probably would have informed me that those people were not true representatives of Christ, that God is Love and loves me, and Christ is my Savior, my life between 10 and 35 (when I was born again) would have been much different.

(Jolene Laughlin) #4

Apologetics helped me to stay with the faith. I was raised in church, but was challenged by hard questions outside of the faith by other students and professors during my college years. The environment in the church did not encourage hard questions and I was embarrased to ask them. Those I did ask were often treated dismissively and/or with condescension. That began to cause the doubt to grow. Simply knowing that there are reasonable answers to the questions, and that God is big enough to handle hard stuff gave me confidence in my faith. So I think apologetics is for those who have a heart that leans toward God but stumbles over the hard parts. If someone’s mind is willfully set against God, they aren’t looking for truth themselves, they are seeking to destroy other’s faith. Apologetics will not change their mind.