"Be Still" (translated Raphah) and know... does the translation imply healing in being still?

Say hello… Hi! I am a Family loving, Sister twinning, Bible reading, Child teaching, Prison ministering, Praises singing, Joy reaping CHILD OF GOD.

Where are you from? Chicago

What led you to join Connect? I saw a link on Twitter

How do you hope to contribute? The right way! I barely know what Im doing!

10 Likes

@Shari I love your enthusiastic openness. Welcome!

3 Likes

Hello Shari, welcome my friend to this great place to engage in our walk with others in Christ
Your question the first reference as I see it in Exodus 14:13 the Red sea crossing

then in Psalms
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalms 46:10 NKJV

Divine healing is one of the ways He is exalted in the earth and in our life.

But simply BE STILL implies just rest in Him, quiet ourselves and He will show us who He is.
Also by implication to patience in waiting on His salvation, deliverance.

When standing at the red sea it was not an instant deliverance they did not cross over immediately. They had to wait but in the waiting God kept them safe and protected.

You will find answers to many questions and am certain you will also help others in thier journey.
Mike

3 Likes

I didnt know (or either I once knew and forgot) that the “Be still” in Genesis was translated the same. Jehovah Raphah is “God our healer” so I just thought it was wild that “Be still” in Psalm 46 was translated “Raphah.” I just wondered if the implication was healing in the stillness. Im not a scholar. Just a serious studier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shari, hello again and thanks for responding.

I see what you are saying. Here are both words from a strongs concordance showing thier connection to one another

Sharing this to give a clearer understanding of both passages and how the original meaning comes through.

Psalms 46:10
[10]Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Psalms 46:10 be still
Strongs H 7503
Hebrew: רפה
Transliteration: râphâh
Pronunciation: raw-faw’
Definition: A primitive root; to slacken (in many {applications} literally or figuratively): - {abate} {cease} {consume} draw [toward {evening]} {fail} (be) {faint} be (wax) {feeble} {forsake} {idle} {leave} let alone ({go} {down}) (be) {slack} {stay} be {still} be {slothful} (be) weak (-en). See H7495 .
KJV Usage: feeble (6x), fail (4x), weaken (4x), go (4x), alone (4x), idle (3x), stay (3x), slack (3x), faint (2x), forsake (2x), abated (1x), cease (1x), misc (9x).
Occurs: 46
In verses: 45

Genesis 20:17
[17]So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.

Genesis 20:17 healed
Strongs H7495
Hebrew: רפה רפא
Transliteration: râphâ’ râphâh
Pronunciation: {raw-faw’} raw-faw’
Definition: A primitive root; properly to mend (by {stitching}) that {is} (figuratively) to cure : - {cure} (cause to) {heal} {physician} {repair} X {thoroughly} make whole. See H7503 .
KJV Usage: heal (57x), physician (5x), cure (1x), repaired (1x), misc (3x).
Occurs: 67
In verses: 62

Hope this helps in your study.
Mike

3 Likes

Mike, YOU ARE WOKE! hehe. Thank you so much! Another question… because these are 2 different words, because they have the different translation numbers (H7495 and H7503) because the words are so similar otherwise, would you liken it to how we have english words that are spelled the same but have different meanings like to, two and too. Is that a good way to understand what is happening here?

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it. This is why I tremble when I think about teaching anyone the Word. I just dont want to ever get it wrong because I take the responsibility so seriously.

2 Likes

Hi, Shari @Shari! Welcome to Connect! Your question intrigued me. And, like Brendan @blbossard, I like your enthusiasm. It’s contagious.

I had a thought while reading the definition of the first Strong’s reference in @mgaplus4 Mike’s post about fasting and how fasting sometimes is intertwined with healing. Pieces of the definition of “Raphah” he quotes there says to be faint, feeble, or weak (among other things). This puts me in mind of how we feel when we fast. Our flesh becomes like this during fasting, especially during prolonged fasting. That’s not to say that being still is the same as fasting. I just noticed the effects of fasting are similar to the state of being still. There could be meaningful correlation between the two.

1 Like

Hi @Shari, welcome to connect. Your introduction made me smile :slightly_smiling_face:
I trust you will be a blessing as you engage here :pray:t3:
Please do feel free to share your insight and encouragement!
Take care :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Shari, YES I completely agree with trembling as you put it

My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
James 3:1

No matter what I do handling His word is a great privilege, honor not to be taken lightly. We are His ambassadors and we speak on behalf of His country.

Those two original Hebrew words go together more like a PB&J

To grasp the full meaning, and context the entire passage must be read to fully undestand it all. See the whole story behind, in, around, and look a Chapter before and after your verse in question to fully see what is being conveyed to thr reader through His word.

That simple term “be still” brings, the idea to stop. God like us as parents needs to stop us to get our attention and show us His way.

terms[quote=“mgaplus4, post:5, topic:29423”]
{abate} {cease}
[/quote]

Being relative to the time with Covid 19 many are running, hiding, afraid which is what happens when panick takes over. It is good to be prepared but then just “stand still” (Be still and know that I am God of all things). in His quietness , pray and watch Him be GLORIFIED

The multi-faceted complexities of the Hebrew language is well above my pay grade Shari, lol🥰 . Just trying to help out a new friend as best I can, with her important question.

Thank you Shari, and Leah as well for your question insight and responce.
Mike

3 Likes

@Shari Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Hi Shari,

All languages are complex. Simply because two words share similar letters does not mean they share similar meaning.

A hilarious (to me) example of this comes from the American TV show Parks & Recreation:

Andy Dwyer:
If you rearrange the letters of Peru you can spell Europe.

Ben Wyatt:
That’s… that’s not true.

Andy Dwyer:
Well, you have to rearrange them.

We can think of many other examples. For instance, “lose” and “loose” are just one tiny letter different from each other. But they have totally different meanings.

Or, for instance, homonyms are words that have the exact same spelling but entirely different meanings! Here’s part of one list:

Address - to speak to / location
Air - oxygen / a lilting tune
Arm - body part / division of a company
Band - a musical group / a ring
Bark - a tree’s out layer / the sound a dog makes

Even the same word, in different contexts, can have different meanings. It makes a difference if it is my nose or my legs that are running!

For all of these reasons, we have to be very careful about making leaps between Hebrew words just because they share similar letters.

Perhaps the best approach is to look carefully at the context.

If we read Psalm 46:10 we see this;

“Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”

I don’t see any indication in this verse, or the surrounding ones, that the idea of ‘healing’ is in mind. At the same time, it is a great comfort and mark of wisdom to know God and his mighty power, even in the midst of great turmoil and difficulty.

We can conclude with the Psalmist, “God IS our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble!”

I hope this helps? Please do come back with any questions or challenges or other perspectives!

4 Likes

Thank you, Brenden. Glad Im coming off as enthusiastic! The truth is that I am struggling with navagating this site and Im putting the wrong things in the wrong places! LOL!

2 Likes

Thanks for your continued input. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Sig! Ill probably have more questions than input. So much to learn! Thamks for your kind response!

1 Like

My question intrigued you, huh. Well that is a positive way of saying that my question was crazy confusing! Haha. And Im also glad my confusion of how to navagate the site and putting things in the wrong place came across as enthusiasm! I VOTE YES!! haha. So, I must say that I LOVED your thoughts on fasting.

1 Like

Hiya, Sheri!

“Hi! I am a Family loving, Sister twinning, Bible reading, Child teaching, Prison ministering, Praises singing, Joy reaping CHILD OF GOD.
Where are you from? Chicago”

I’m a God’s Family loving, alone in Christ, Bible caressing, 12 Stepping, joy-singing Child of YHWH (and many more Names), from Decatur, Ill originally. So we have a bunch in common, especially spiritually…

And my experience tells me that relaxing fully in Him is very healing. Like in Exodus 15:26:

“If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of YHWH thy God, and wilt do that which is right in His sight, and wilt give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I AM YHWH that healeth thee.”

And resting completely in the love of Yahshua ha Machiach (Jesus the Messiah) fulfills His commandments and statues. Isn’t that marvelously miraculous?!? :rofl:

2 Likes