Support RZIM Connect

Becoming an Apologist

I’ve been in college for one year and on a gap year, and really trying to figure things out. I’m wondering about what’s the best way to become an apologist? If it’s the Lord’s will, of course. Do I need to be good at writing/English class? Is it a good idea to double major in philosophy at a secular public university? Do I have to? I know currently I’m called to be studying aerospace engineering. Is that useful? I’m thinking about being an apologist because I just have this desire and love of truth, I love asking questions and finding answers , and I love having truthful, difficult conversations with people about truth and life. I’m not sure if these are some valid reasons. Help?
@Alycia_Wood @Jo_Vitale @Shawn_Hart @Vince_Vitale @Nathan_Rittenhouse
Thanks!

5 Likes

Dear Angela i really appreciate your zeal,desire and love for truth …just to encourage you to stand for God i responded to you ,as i see am not the right person to answer your question …but for sure you will receive for what you are looking for …Praise GOD

2 Likes

Angela, I love your desire to serve God as a defender of the faith, and I have great news for you. You do not need to have a degree in order to be a great apologist. In fact, I think that it is great that you have been studying aerospace engineering. If you continue to pursue that course, then you will have influence in an arena that very few people can enter. Just make sure that you love it. If you do not love it, then find another area that you love and pursue that. Study scripture meanwhile and consume a lot of material related to apologetics. Reasons to Believe (https://reasons.org/) is a great resource for you because it has a lot of material by people from many different scientific professions. You can learn how to apply your chosen area of expertise in support of an apologetics ministry.

The single most important thing for you to do is to study the Bible and develop your own rationale for believing what you believe. Listen to Peter the Fisherman:

But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. (1 Peter 3:14–16, ESV)

Peter did not have an advanced degree. He was a fisherman. He just knew why he believed what he believed and lived what he believed. He spoke as the Spirit moved him and lived in the Spirit’s power. He preached the very first sermon in church history to people whose languages he did not know, and three thousand souls entered God’s kingdom that day (Acts 2). He preached other sermons and breached the Jew-Gentile barrier as well. I recommend reading Acts because there are many examples of apologetic preaching that will give you the framework that you need to develop your apologetic skills.

Learn and live your faith. That is how to become an apologist.

3 Likes

Hi Angela, I don’t know all of your situation, but I’ve found that when I don’t know what to do next, that the best thing is to do the best that I can at the thing that I do know I’m supposed to be doing and let the Lord open the next doors from there. I think aerospace engineering is a great degree that will have many useful applications in the future. I did Physics for an undergraduate degree before I even knew what apologetics was! Apologetics is more of a way of thinking than a certain set of ideas to memorize. There are so many good resources out there, that I think you would be fine pursuing your degree and studying apologetics as a ‘serious hobby’ :blush: The command to do the work of the apologist is for all believers, not just those who have degrees in it. A confident Christian in the context of their own community is the best form of evangelism and apologetics. If you continue with your degree, you’ll have access to ideas and communities that many other apologist never will. This is from me, not the Lord, hope it helps ~ Nathan

2 Likes

@Nathan_Rittenhouse Thank you sir! I really appreciate it! I will do my best, Lord help me!

1 Like