Before time?

(Ryan C Melcher) #1

Hello everyone,

Titus 1:2 (NIV) says: “in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,”

It is my understanding there was no before the beginning of time because before would only be possible once time starts and there is an actual before. So what is scripture trying to say? Would a better phrase be “Outside of time?”

Looking forward to the incites.

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(SeanO) #2

@RyanMelcher Technically time as we know it began whenever God created the universe, so before the universe existed was ‘before time’ and certainly God existed prior to the universe. When the Bible says God did something ‘before time’ it just means before He created the universe. That is one thing that distinguishes the God of the Bible from the pagan gods - the pagan gods were all part of the universe - the God of the Bible created all things, including time.

How exactly ‘time’ works in the spiritual realm or if outside of the laws of physics we know in our universe it even does exist is a question I am not sure we can answer.

Finally, there is the scriptural contention, and of the three it alone makes sense: the universe was created by an uncaused First Cause greater than itself. Time, space, and the universe have not always existed, but God has always existed, and God’s existence is the cause for the existence of all else that exists.

https://www.equip.org/bible_answers/god-create-everything-nothing/

(Ryan C Melcher) #3

@SeanO

Sean,

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess my struggle is does “before” make sense if there is no time. The point you make on how exactly times works in the spiritual realm or even if it does exist satisfies me a bit more. One thing I have wondered is if time and eternity are the mutually exclusive or not? Since God has an eternal nature is that devoid time as we know it? I’m not sure. But I appreciate your answer and giving this some thought.

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(SeanO) #4

@RyanMelcher I had a fun discussion with Dr. Ganssle on the topic of time you may find interesting. Also, you may find the following two books by Dr. Gannsle and Hugh Ross helpful. I’m not sure we can know the answer on this one, but it is interesting to discuss. @anthony.costello made some interesting points in a linked thread as well.

Christ bless your studies :slight_smile: