Being Known by Name Can Transform Us

On day three, Michael Ramsden looks at the Easter story from a different angle to discover how being known by name can transform us in a time when it is all-too-easy to feel overlooked.

But remarkably, at the very point she thought she was asking for too much, she was actually asking for too little. She would’ve been happy with the corpse but actually now the resurrected Lord was standing in front of her. The one who was victorious over sin and death itself.

That question, “who are you seeking?” is so important.

It is so easy at times like this to feel overlooked, ignored, unknown, alone. And yet when someone calls out our name, we suddenly realize, we are known, we are recognized, someone does actually see. We worship a God who both sees us and knows us.

Let us know:

• What do you think of when you think of Jesus?
  • What are you calling out to the Lord for right now?
5 Likes

When I think of Jesus I think of someone who cares more for me than anyone in the world ever could. I think of a person who is infinitely patient, kind, and desirous of me to be close to Him and to be with Him in eternity. I also think of the One who has conquered the world, One who also conquered death and who is the reason we should have no fear.

I am calling out to the Lord for some dear friends who are hurting in one of the most cruel ways right now. I long for God’s peace to wash over them and for them to know that we can live in victory over such terrible times if only we would look to Him to save us from ourselves and our “man’s wisdom” and teach us to keep our eyes on Him.

5 Likes

My best friend who totally understands who I am, never condemns me, always forgives me, is there whenever i need Him, willing to risk our friendship by showing me my errors, but best of all loves me so much more than I will ever be capable of.

An answer to the current pandemic and that God would be GLORIFIED in it and through it.
That faith not fear will grab people’s hearts.

3 Likes

I think of a warrior whose weaopn is love. His eyes are a flame of fire, his hair white as wool, his voice like many waters. The all powerful :raised_hands:

I am asking each day for protection for my students, staff, family and friends as well as opportunities to share the good news :palms_up_together:t5:

2 Likes

Michael Ramsden is very thought provoking. “When Mary thought she was asking for too much, she was actually asking for too little!” She was asking for a corpse to clean while she had the resurrected Christ to comfort her.

That gives new depths of meaning to His questions, Woman, why weepest thou? Whom seekest thou? Who we seek will answer why we weep. If we seek only a corpse, we’ll weep for sorrow. If we seek a living Lord, we can weep for joy!

And for more reasons than just the one we’ve come to mourn.

Gerard Manley Hopkins explained to little Margaret who was too young to understand why the falling leaves were making her cry, “It is the blight man was born for – it is Margaret you mourn for!”

Every death reminds us on some level of the death we’re most concerned about. Some of the tears we shed are for ourselves. But are we shedding them for sorrow alone? Not if we’re seeking the One Mary discovered!

I’ve often said, I don’t mind death so much – I just don’t want it to be permanent! And every Easter reminds us that death is a bee without a sting.

People sometimes quote a movie line, “Dying’s just part of living.” And I understand that what they really mean is that death’s just part of the reality of life in this world. But we never acclimate to it – we mourn it to the end.

Because dying is not really part of living at all – it’s the very opposite. It was never meant to be any part of the reality of our world. Neither sin nor death are our true state – our original state. Nor are they our ultimate destiny.

And Mary was the first one to witness this. At first, she couldn’t see it through her tears. But something in the way He said, Mary, cleared the tears from her eyes! And the Gardener she found was not the one she expected! It seems right that the curse of the first Adam’s failure in Eden should be canceled by the last Adam’s victory at the Garden Tomb.

And because it was, even in the midst of uncertain times, the followers of Christ do not have to weep for sorrow alone. Of course, we’ll miss those who’ve departed. But it’s not like others with no hope. We know it’s only temporary. So some of our tears are for joy – not only for those who’ve gone ahead, but for us who will follow as well.

1 Like