Being reunited with saved loved ones

heaven

(William Stanley) #1

Hi everyone, recently in a discussion, there were a number of views being expressed about Heaven and the possibility of being reunited with loved ones who had entered before you. I would appreciate views of others and the Biblical references.

(SeanO) #2

@Bill Thank you for your question. What different views were being expressed? Were you discussing whether or not we would recognize our loved ones in Heaven or whether or not they would be there at all? What exactly was the nature of the conversation?

Here are a few resources you may find helpful. The book by Douglas Jacoby helps answer some common questions about the afterlife. Christ grant you wisdom.

Scripture gives no indication of a memory wipe causing us to forget family and friends. On the contrary, if we wouldn’t know our loved ones in Heaven, the “comfort” of an afterlife reunion, taught in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18, would be no comfort at all.

In Christ’s transfiguration, his disciples recognized Moses and Elijah, even though they couldn’t have known what they looked like (Luke 9:29-33). This suggests that personality will emanate through whatever forms we take. If we can recognize those we’ve never seen, how much more will we recognize our family and friends?

I have every reason to believe that in heaven, I will be closer to my wife and kids and grandkids than ever. It won’t be the end of our relationships, but they’ll be taken to a new level. Our source of comfort isn’t only that we’ll be with the Lord in heaven but also that we’ll be with each other.

McGrath’s book is a look at Heaven in Western literature, so it would not be as good as Jacoby’s for just getting the scoop on what the Bible says. But it would be an interesting read if the topic is important to you.