Best books for Evangelism

Hello friends! I am curious if you all have a favorite book :books: or maybe several :joy: you would recommend on the topic of evangelism. I am looking for a list of recommended titles for how to share about Jesus with others. :+1: Thanks so much! :wink:

1 Like

Hi @eminikel,

I am just a wanna-be evangelist with no bona fides to my name, so I’m excited to see the responses to this question from others! But I couldn’t pass this up - these are some of my favorite books that have helped me to build some perspectives for people that want to talk to others about Christ.

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The Case for Christ - Lee Strobel
On Guard - Dr. William Lane Craig
Jesus Among Other Gods - Ravi Zacharias

-Andrew

2 Likes

Yes! These are great, thanks so much for posting them. :books: :open_book: :+1:

Hi @eminikel Another book that may interest you is More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. He was a former atheist who set out to prove that the Bible was false and became a believer in the process. :slightly_smiling_face:

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

3 Likes

I also suggest “Out of the Saltshaker” by Becky Pippert

I think that Mere Christianity is one of the absolute best books to give non-Christians and discuss with them about faith.

4 Likes

Thank you @MaryBeth1 and @merrieserv! These are great titles, and an awesome resource. I had forgotten about these! :star_struck: :books:

Hi Elizabeth @eminikel,

Thanks for a great question! It is difficult to come up with a few suggestions as there are so many good books. Other have provided great apologetics resources and appreciate those suggestions. There are so many angles to look at - one that causes motivation for natural evangelism out of deep convictions, one that gives us suggestions on how to carry the conversation, one that helps us deal with difficult questions from those with different worldviews, one that helps us present the Christian worldview in an accessible manner. So here are a few books to consider -

• Words of Counsel - Charles H Spurgeon
  • Everyday Questions curriculum - Drew McNeil and (our own) Carson Weitnauer - A conversational apologetics curriculum on origin, meaning morality and destiny.
  • Christianity at the religious roundtable-Timothy C. Tennent - great for dialogue with eastern religions
  • Becoming a contagious Christian - Bill Hybels and Mark Mittelburg - practical advice for spiritual conversations
  • Simply Christian - NT Wright - A book that could be given to a non-Christian to understand what Christianity is about and why it makes sense.
4 Likes

Thank you @Lakshmismehta for this! :+1: You are always super helpful and I so enjoy reading your encouraging posts! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey eminikel, start with Greg Koukl 's tactics (If you haven’t read It yet). Randy Newman is also helpful; his books include Questioning Evangelism: Engaging People’s Hearts the Way Jesus Did as well as Bringing the Gospel Home: Witnessing to Family Members, Close Friends, and Others Who Know You Well . Maybe some books on logic and critical thinking - Anthony Weston. A Rulebook for Arguments , Alan Jacobs. How to Think , Robert J. Gula. Nonsense: A Handbook of Logical Fallacies. I have found it very beneficial to read these along side os guinness fools talk & peter kreeft socratic logic…both very humbling books; they helped me to mix logic with love. A good systematic theology book is always important , as well as classic christian biographies, Courtney Anderson. To the Golden Shore for instance.

its hard to recommend books to a stranger , i don’t know which books you already have in your shelve. Maybe i can recommend a few sites , Apologetics 315 is very good https://apologetics315.com/ see evangelism under topics , you will also find a recommended Apologetics Book Directory… Bibliography on theology & philosophy https://www.rzim.org/site/help/bibliographySee also see rzim ask away https://www.rzim.org/listen/ask-away on how to adress questions with gentleness and respect as well as wiliam craig 's question of the week https://www.reasonablefaith.org/

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much Philip, I cannot wait to get started on some of these titles! :+1:

1 Like